Xbox Homebrew

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

Is it a good idea to get Aleph One to the Original Xbox? It might be pointless for some but I and others would see potential in it. I have heard about the port for the 360 and Bungie did make both Marathon and Halo so porting the engine to the OG Xbox would make sense.

Just asking cause during the creation of this topic I've had the will to play some Xbox and I always wanted to ask this since I've gotten into Xbox homebrewing.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

https://www.deviantart.com/screamy14/jo ... -807798768

I am definitely a guy worth talking about.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

I have gotten away from the will to spend the rest of my life with Bees and I take the silence about the Xbox port for Aleph One as "It won't work". My will to make these happen isn't gonna come back anytime soon so I may just put up that, recently I've read an amazing web-story and it influenced me to tell the adventure that I should focus on writing.

However I'm not the one for bright talk so my will is to let everyone here be part of my journey to write a movie script.
Ku-rin
Born on Board

Screamernail wrote:I have gotten away from the will to spend the rest of my life with Bees and I take the silence about the Xbox port for Aleph One as "It won't work". My will to make these happen isn't gonna come back anytime soon so I may just put up that, recently I've read an amazing web-story and it influenced me to tell the adventure that I should focus on writing.

However I'm not the one for bright talk so my will is to let everyone here be part of my journey to write a movie script.
I have no idea what development is like for that platform, but I'll assume nobody else here does either, which is a solid reason to say nothing.

But hey, writing is good stuff. You just have to grind it endlessly and not give up for it to work. People will shit on it, so you'll learn to grow a thick skin if you stick with it. You'll probably be poor and hungry, but if you love it, do it. If you don't love it, I recommend wood carving. Wood carving is its own reward, but you also end up with cool stuff you can put on a shelf and sometimes people will actually pay you for it. It's also super cheap because the raw material literally grows on trees.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

Bump

Have this community done something for the Myth series? I've been a huge RTS nerd back in my childhood and would like to try it out. And mod it also cause I also wanted to make my own RTS game.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

There is a huge Myth modding community, but overlap with the Marathon community is small. You can probably get in touch with Mythers through tain.totalcodex.net and projectmagma.net.

From the small overlap with the Marathon community, specifically Oogabooga, plus LegacyTyphoon and tiny bit of myself, there is a Myth mod called Project Mjolnir which ports all the Marathon units and weapons (and many from major Marathon scenarios) to Myth, letting you play Myth maps with Marathon units on them. It's lots of fun. You can find it on the Tain.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

Nice! First I need to finish up SheepShaver and play the game a-bit to refresh my RTS skills.

EDIT:
I played a-bit. Got some tension after the first 2 levels. Haven't played these kind of tense games in a long time so I'm being a-bit vulnerable currently.

Just a quickie. What is the best way to make level meshes in Unity? One big mesh or multiple small meshes? (It's not a Marathon related question but I need to say it out sometime before I forget about it)
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Usually you want the basic shape of each space or room in a map to be composed from a few simple objects. The details like small stairs, furnishings, and intractable stuff should be made from individual objects. These can be instanced in different areas as needed.

Generally, you want to be able to avoid rendering things that are not in your line of sight. I haven't used Unity in a fair while, so you should look up the different culling methods Unity supports. I remember it had a few built in tools that worked well.

Also: objects with multiple materials are more costly to render than single material objects, avoid using a bunch of them at once.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

The level design I was hoping to do was to be space-sparing and classical like Half-Life 1 or 2 cause of the use of the Marathon like theme I'm using for it. (Being 2D in 3D) But your statement is most possible to be true. I first thought it as the whole level mesh that must be visible but it makes more sense with modular parting cause of how the Source engine worked in the beginning.

And yes there is a culling method that was built into Unity. Thanks for the lighten-up. I'll try Blender instead of SabreCSG now.

Edit:
Kinda these are samples of (one of) my game(s).
Spoiler:
Skärmavbild 2020-01-08 kl. 10.56.50.png
Skärmavbild 2020-01-08 kl. 10.56.42.png
Skärmavbild 2020-01-08 kl. 10.56.34.png