What are your favorite fps games of all time?

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
uescsuperhuman
Cyborg

Simple. What are your favorite fps games of all time?
I think my favorite fps of all time is System Shock 2. I know this is a Marathon forum, but IDK, I can't lie to myself. The story, atmosphere, the gameplay, all tremendous. It is an amazing art form. The Marathon series is right up there with it. It's plot is ALMOST as good as SS2's which is simply amazing. Then Comes BioShock, which is a dumbed down version of SS2, but is still amazing.
F.E.A.R. is my 4th favorite. It's like Half-Life and Doom mixed with an element of SS2. It doesn't really have much of SS2, but it had the horror element and the engaging, trippy character like in SS2. The firefights were amazing, and it mixed up combat and puzzle solving, just like HL2. It might not have the epicness of Half-Life 2, but still.
Don't Crucifiy me, but Halo goes in 5. I'm not saying it's the 5th best game ever, it's just my 5th favorite to play. It has a great story, but overall the complexity of each battle makes the game wonderful. Also, not every level is exactly the same like in GoW. I think.

So that's my list. What are your guys's favorite FPS games of all time
***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM UESCSUPERHUMAN***

Those of you who play Halo 3, you aren't that good at killing things.
I'm not impressed. Long Live Marathon, Halo 3 Fanboys!!!

***END OF MESSAGE***
Marathoner325
Cyborg

Well, my top five would probably be:

1. Marathon
2. Fallout 3 - Very good RPG/FPS with some very interesting sub-plots and perks.
3. Halo - Despite it being a fairly dumbed-down version of Marathon, it has great multiplayer and replayability.
4. Doom - Simple engine and concept, yet very fun.
5. Quake - Although some elements of this game (such as the storyline) are seemingly unfinished, it delivered great gameplay and pretty cool enemies.
megabyte
Vidmaster

1. Marathon series - overall best
2. UT series - one of the best multiplayer games of all time
3. Timesplitters series - extremely good story and multiplayer with a great sense of humor
4. Wolfenstien 3d ****PURE AWESOME****
5. Medal of Honor series - extremely good story and multiplayer
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
treellama
Vidmaster

I think it's OK if Marathon isn't at the top of your list, even though this is a Marathon forum. I'll confess to liking Deus Ex and Unreal more than Marathon 2, and Bioshock has a special place in my heart because I love art deco.

As far as multiplayer, though, Marathon Infinity is simply untouchable.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:I think it's OK if Marathon isn't at the top of your list, even though this is a Marathon forum. I'll confess to liking Deus Ex and Unreal more than Marathon 2, and Bioshock has a special place in my heart because I love art deco.

As far as multiplayer, though, Marathon Infinity is simply untouchable.
Thanks for the clearance ;).

:( this is why we can't have nice things.
Last edited by L'howon on May 8th '09, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

Definately Hexen. MAC Hexen! Not the DOS version with the crappy graphics and sound! Marathon comes second place. Basilisk doesn't do a very good job emulating mac Hexen's awesome musical sountrack ='(
soulblighter
Cyborg

Marathon 2
Half Life 2
Mechwarrior 2
Project: Snowblind
Deus Ex
Last edited by soulblighter on May 8th '09, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
[viral]
Nobody hipped me to that, dude.
I will blight your soul!
The Thug
Vidmaster

Teen Titans.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
soulblighter
Cyborg

The Thug wrote:Teen Titans.
That's not even a fps.
[viral]
Nobody hipped me to that, dude.
I will blight your soul!
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Im big fan of the Descent series myself.
uescsuperhuman
Cyborg

Megabyte wrote:1. Marathon series - overall best
2. UT series - one of the best multiplayer games of all time
3. Timesplitters series - extremely good story and multiplayer with a great sense of humor
4. Wolfenstien 3d ****PURE AWESOME****
5. Medal of Honor series - extremely good story and multiplayer
Oh yeah I totally forgot about Timesplitters XD!
Oh boy, the memories :). Brings a smile to my face. I used to do nothing but play that game and it was...really bad but NOT THE GAME THO!
Jesus. TS 1, TS 2 had essentially no stories, but TS 3 had a great story. It was awesome because it was light hearted in this really bad situation. It was like watching a really good aliens parody without the plot of aliens...sorta. Well, you're not always in the future you change times so still it was 0551M!
Teen Titans.
...*sigh*...

***END OF MESSAGE***
visciom
Cyborg

1. Unreal Tournament
2. Call of Duty
3. Medal of Honor: Frontline
4. Quake 3
5. Day of Defeat: Source
6. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Last edited by visciom on May 9th '09, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

Asylum wrote:Marathon 2: Durandal ( The music, the sound, the plot, it's all so amazing.)
Marathon 2 had music? Am I missing something? [MOh]
VirtualX1
Cyborg

-Based on multiplayer experience-

Marathon Infinity
Wolfenstein ET
Tremulous
Quake 3
Savage 2
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
$lave

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Marathon 2 had music? Am I missing something? [MOh]
The title theme.
uescsuperhuman
Cyborg

Asylum wrote:I really liked the title theme. One time me and my brother blasted it for a Marathon marathon.
;) that's awesome.

***END OF MESSAGE***
SynthNinja
Cyborg

Metroid Prime: Echoes, Marathon 2, Siphon Filter, and there was another game done in comic-book gangster style that was pretty awesome but I can't remember the name. It was for Playstation.

EDIT: Some of the Star Wars games weren't bad either. I liked how in Jedi Knight you could be a dark jedi or a light jedi and you'd get different sets of Force powers. And how you could throw your light saber and have it boomerang back to you.
Last edited by SynthNinja on May 10th '09, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Marathoner325 wrote:3. Halo - Despite it being a fairly dumbed-down version of Marathon,
I hate it when people say stupid things like this.

Is Marathon some kind of religious deity to some of you?
So if you say Halo is better then Marathon and it CLEARLY IS, you'll get struck with a bolt of lightning?
Its okay, I know Macintosh people are very ornery when someone even mentions the word Microsoft. And the thought of Microsoft having they're name on a game that had several connections to Marathon must have caused a couple suicides.

Remember when Marathon 2 got released to the PC?
How many people died then? Cost of the damages to public property?
If a PC game gets ported to Mac you'll never see PC users running around yelling "Oh you BETRAYED US, how DARE YOU, only Mac people get to play Marathon its mine! Mineminemineminemineminemineminemineminemine!"

I hold Marathon over Halo in my rankings too, but I still acknowledge Halo as a great game and don't just say whatever slander I please.
You can't call it "dumbed-down" that makes no damn sense.
Last edited by MoppyPuppy on May 10th '09, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

MoppyPuppy wrote:I hate it when people say stupid things like this.

Is Marathon some kind of religious deity to some of you?
So if you say Halo is better then Marathon and it CLEARLY IS, you'll get struck with a bolt of lightning?
Its okay, I know Macintosh people are very ornery when someone even mentions the word Microsoft. And the thought of Microsoft having they're name on a game that had several connections to Marathon must have caused a couple suicides.

Remember when Marathon 2 got released to the PC?
How many people died then? Cost of the damages to public property?
If a PC game gets ported to Mac you'll never see PC users running around yelling "Oh you BETRAYED US, how DARE YOU, only Mac people get to play Marathon its mine! Mineminemineminemineminemineminemineminemine!"

I hold Marathon over Halo in my rankings too, but I still acknowledge Halo as a great game and don't just say whatever slander I please.
You can't call it "dumbed-down" that makes no damn sense.
I like halo too. Halo 3 multiplayer is fun to play with a couple of friends over xbox live. Halo 1 is a blast to play on legendary. Maybe the other games are too, but I haven't gotten around to play them on legendary yet.

Dukenukem is an oldschool fps I enjoy beside marathon.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

People don't like Halo because they feel it is not only lame too reliant on graphics, but also profoundly unoriginal in both gameplay and story. Had Microsoft released a better game, people wouldn't be so mad. Personally I've never played Halo before, but Marathon seems a lot more fun to play online, and the story is way better.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:People don't like Halo because they feel it is not only lame too reliant on graphics, but also profoundly unoriginal in both gameplay and story. Had Microsoft released a better game, people wouldn't be so mad. Personally I've never played Halo before, but Marathon seems a lot more fun to play online, and the story is way better.
Yeah, ok, so the whole shield system that enabled you to have a fighting chance either near death or at full health, was totally unoriginal, and humans fighting a genocidal race of aliens on an ancient ring world with a survival horror twist was totally unoriginal, other games that did that were...

Yeah I can tell you know what your talking about. Because you know whenever people play Halo they're all thinking how poor the gameplay is...
...Not.
treellama
Vidmaster

Will you guys please just ignore moppy, he posts inflammatory nonsense just to get a rise out of you and it's working.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:Will you guys please just ignore moppy, he posts inflammatory nonsense just to get a rise out of you and it's working.
But it's so entertaining to see him struggle to counter our responses and fail miserably trying.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
MarathonPfhor
Born on Board

Halo 2, Marathon Durandal, Half life 2, Call of duty 2, and Timesplitters: Future Perfect. (Combo Breaker!)
(I would also have said Tomb Raider 2, but It's 3rd Person)
MP
***Prepare for Transport***
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Lh wrote:But it's so entertaining to see him struggle to counter our responses and fail miserably trying.
Heaven forbid somebody disagrees with you all.