M2 Cover Redux

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

It was suggested to me that I should do some more Marathon music covers so I decided to have another go at the Durandal theme tune. It's only a minute long and needs a lot of work but I'm feeling a bit uninspired so critique would be helpful. I may make another "Coming of the Juice" as well.
Attachments
M2_Cover.zip
(944.55 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Packard20
Mjolnir Mark IV

Nice! Definitely puts a new twist to it, I like it at least.

Edited to remove stupidity.
Last edited by Packard20 on Jul 31st '08, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
ALL HAIL PACKARD THE IDIOT
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Meh, I don't really like it. It sounds too fake, and the grating melody instrument gets irritating.
Embrace imagination.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Not too shabby. I like it, but I do agree with chinkeeyong. The grating sound isn't too pleasant. Good job though!
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Sorry, can't say that I like it. Here is why:

-Its a very low quality recording made worse by over distortion of the instruments. Sure you can make the song all hardcore grunge and industrial (not my taste, -that's just me though), but you've taken it way to far. Ease off the pedal man!

-Notice how the original theme song is ridiculously complex. There are awesome phaser and advanced reverb effects throughout. In comparison your song is flat. There are very few effects to keep the listener drawn in.

-Your song also becomes monotonous early on. There is, in my opinion, little change in the melody throughout. I didn't find myself 'surprised' (in other words: drawn in). Add some variation there.

...just long's humble constructive criticism...
Last edited by Longinus on Jul 31st '08, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
DeepThought
Cyborg

Don't like it that much, but maybe thats just me...

QUOTE(Alan)So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
Zott
Vidmaster

I think at the beginning the sound isn't deep enough and smooth. By smooth I mean that that you seem to have three notes, where there should more notes that smooth the short remix transitions. By Deep, I mean adding the extra notes that are lower pitched in between the high pitched ones, that little dive, that give the original that extra umpth. I can understand you getting rid of the smoothness, because it is a redux/remix, but atleast add one more note.

The end gets better, and seems to follow the traditional marathon 2 theme, and I like that.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Paul
Cyborg

It's definitely a good start, but I agree with many of the criticisms here.

Keep trying, though! I'd love to see this finished.
Last edited by Paul on Aug 6th '08, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.