A IRONS STORY

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
irons
Vidmaster

A handful of you will remember my [acronym="eight-foot-tall"]two-month-long[/acronym] [acronym="loch"]absence[/acronym] from Marathon, starting at the beginning of December and ending mid-February. I had my usual excuse going--that I was too busy writing and doing other things to care about Marathon--but this time it was true. I worked my way through the longest (and best) story I've ever written. This is part one of three that will comprise my first novella. I've just started part two, but I thought I'd unveil the beginning of this little trilogy for you.

I think editing is mostly done for now; my good buddies Epstein and W'rkncacnter have gone over the story with combs of varying finetoothery, with my girlfriend providing a general stamp of approval. The rest of the lazy bums who received advance copies haven't given me any specific feedback (although their glowing praise is flattering and YES I MEAN YOU RYOKO). I thought I'd show you guys what I do when I'm not messing with Marathon stuff.

I plan on never sending this story to a publisher; instead, I will eventually publish the complete novella myself. I have practiced typesetting the text using the TEX engine, and as soon as I'm satisfied I'll send the work to a printing press. Depending on how much money I can fork out for printing, I'll get a number of copies (probably no more than 100) for a first edition run. Then I'll see who wants to buy one.

Without going into too much detail, I'll explain a little of my reasoning here. The first half of the self-publishing decision is purely practical: few, if any, sci-fi magazines still take serials (novels published in parts), and this piece won't be long enough (nor is my reputation good enough) for me to sell it as a novel to the publisher. In addition to that pessimism, I also realize that I'd rather own my work completely. Royalty publishers (the best and most normal kind of publisher) buy some of the rights to your work, which makes me uneasy. Vanity and subsidy publishers (to whom you pay money or grant rights for in exchange for "publication") are bad news in general. So I've taken it upon myself to do everything except buy a printing press and run it in my basement.

WELL! That was a sort of boring paragraph. In any case, my site now contains the story in HTML format for easy reading online. It's been split into scenes so that you have some capability to bookmark given passages (for the longest time, it was just a single page, which got really nasty). Please respect my ownership/copyright (don't copy it to another site, don't claim it as yours, don't sell it, don't plagiarize, blah blah, etc. If you have a question, ask me.), but other than that, give me an honest word or paragraph or whatever telling me what you think. I believe I'm a good writer, but who knows. If you do like it, feel free to link other people to the story on my site. And, of course, discuss it here!

Title: Earth Mother part I ("Him")
Genre: Science fiction
Length: ~20,000 words
Writing time: 3-4 months
Link: @ITO

P.S.--I know it's a stretch and that requesting this is probably asking for trouble, but if we could keep this thread mostly on-topic (main focus on Earth Mother, some focus on my other writing, some focus on writing in general). I don't even really care if we get a flame war in this thread, so long as it's a topical flame war :)
Last edited by irons on Sep 30th '08, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated site link.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

I sure as hell dont want to pay for shipping to Japan, why dont u offer a PDF as well?
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

This is pretty good. I've never liked reading novels online but I might buy this when you release it.
You've made a wee grammar mistake on page 2 "There came a flavor of of blood"
Packard20
Mjolnir Mark IV

Cool, I love science fiction. If you want people to re-read it I would do it, or just buy a copy when your done printing.
ALL HAIL PACKARD THE IDIOT
CryoS
Vidmaster

I loved it Irons, you got some skills!
I'd would surley buy it. Hmm, wonder if it would be as good as it is now if translated? Just a tought...
:D
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
irons
Vidmaster

Volcanon wrote:I sure as hell dont want to pay for shipping to Japan, why dont u offer a PDF as well?
My typesetting program makes this very easy. I can give you one now if you like, unless you were suggesting it for the future.
Tommy-TBone wrote:This is pretty good. I've never liked reading novels online but I might buy this when you release it.
You've made a wee grammar mistake on page 2 "There came a flavor of of blood"
I'm glad you like it! Thanks for spotting the typo.
Packard20 wrote:Cool, I love science fiction. If you want people to re-read it I would do it, or just buy a copy when your done printing.
Sounds like a plan.
CryoS wrote:I loved it Irons, you got some skills!
I'd would surley buy it. Hmm, wonder if it would be as good as it is now if translated? Just a tought...
:D
Translated into which languages? I'm a French literature major, so I could probably do a fair job putting it into that language. Beyond that, it gets tricky; if the original author isn't translating it himself, something is sure to be lost. That's not always bad, but...

I probably won't do any drastic changes to the story right now, but was there anything you think could use improvement? I know the ending was kind of sudden, but there's a reason for that (sort of). I'll probably end up extending that after I've done the other two parts. Aside from that, I think there's some basic plausibility and fact checking (for instance, the size of the mining colony; I don't know how large a population should be in order to establish a good gene pool). Any other concerns?

Thanks for reading, guys!
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
CryoS
Vidmaster

maybe swe? :P then i can make my friends read it ... ^^
(they're no fans of english books, not that the book is bad, just that they wont read in english or any other language exept swe...)
Drictelt
Vidmaster

thats stupid.

Nuancification:

its not stupid not to like to read a language you do know, but it is stupid to expect other people to translate stuff for you then.
Last edited by Drictelt on Apr 11th '08, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
irons
Vidmaster

I'll finish the novella before I think of that stuff.
CryoS
Vidmaster

sorry for wanting my friends to read something that IMO is very good!
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

Equinox was epic win, im reading this one and so far it is epic win as well
irons
Vidmaster

Did you know that Earth Mother and "Equinox" are related? Can you guess how?
Drictelt
Vidmaster

CryoS wrote:sorry for wanting my friends to read something that IMO is very good!
I was just saying, well, like irons said, when a book is translated by someone else than (?) the author, it loses something, but when a book is written in a language different from the authors mothertongue, by the author, it surely loses something as well (and irons probably doesnt even know swedish). Thus, if you know english, read english stuff in english if it's so good and not yet translated. IMO, translations are "emergency" solutions for those who don't know the original language.
If they don't speak english, i retreat my words, but as far as i know most scandinavians do.

Oh and irons, ill surely try to read it some day, but so far I havent been able to push myself over the shock of seeing a story in an ugly font on an ugly website with a white line between every two paragraphs. (no offense, these are objections that have nothing to do with your story)
Last edited by Drictelt on Apr 12th '08, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Drictelt wrote:Oh and irons, ill surely try to read it some day, but so far I havent been able to push myself over the shock of seeing a story in an ugly font on an ugly website with a white line between every two paragraphs. (no offense, these are objections that have nothing to do with your story)
Of course, you could copy the text into your favorite text editor, change the font and layout, and even print it! Since your objections have nothing to do with his story, the logical choice is not to let them affect your reading of it!
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
irons
Vidmaster

What would be a better layout for the site? In my opinion, reading lots of text in any font, on any site, is painful. Web browsers somehow weren't made for reading, just browsing :P
Last edited by irons on Apr 12th '08, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

epstein wrote:Of course, you could copy the text into your favorite text editor, change the font and layout, and even print it! Since your objections have nothing to do with his story, the logical choice is not to let them affect your reading of it!
Oddly, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you! :P
irons wrote:Web browsers somehow weren't made for reading, just browsing :P
Exactly. There's nothing you can do about it.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I think what I like best about this story is that Orefall represents a phallus that just can't adequately satisfy people anymore. That's why everyone wants to leave it.

(Sorry, I really couldn't resist.)
irons
Vidmaster

No bullshit literary theory is complete without a chopped-up quotation.
W wrote:I like ... phallus ... I ... couldn't resist.
Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

I actually thought you wanted some money for the story, not just covering printing costs. 20K words equals what, a 100-page paperback?

I'd personally ask for $2 or something if I went to all the work to write something. I think that's actually more than most writers get for novels anyway.
irons
Vidmaster

I'd ask for money if I had a printed version to distribute. I'm not against making a profit ;). The PDF I have for EM I is only 43 pages using 6in x 9in paper. Here's how it looks:

[attachment=1532:em_page.png]

The obnoxious copyright thing on the bottom will go away once all three are complete; I mainly had it there in case some dumbo stumbled upon the PDF while it was still on my Web site.
Attachments
em_page.png
em_page.png (172.2 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
Last edited by irons on Apr 13th '08, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Volcanon wrote:I actually thought you wanted some money for the story, not just covering printing costs. 20K words equals what, a 100-page paperback?

I'd personally ask for $2 or something if I went to all the work to write something. I think that's actually more than most writers get for novels anyway.
20K words isn't very long in paperback terms - most paperbacks are 75-100K. 20K is the proper length for the (first part of the) story Irons had to tell, so it was appropriate. The dimensions (6x9) are slightly biggish, and so is the font - suitable for now, but you might want a more convenient 5.5x8.5 size (fit 4 pages on a sheet of normal paper) when all is done. Overall the layout looks good (go LaTeX!).

It's amusing to think in Volcanon's terms of $2 per copy. Knowing how much work goes into them, I don't think Irons would break even on this story before he sold tons of copies at that price! On that note, Irons - think very carefully about whether you want to relinquish your amateur author status. Once you lose it, it's gone forever ;). In either case, I expect a signed, numbered (single digit!) copy (maybe a trade is in order...).
Last edited by epstein on Apr 13th '08, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

epstein wrote:Once you lose it, it's gone forever
Why? Once sold a book, it's still possible to put the next one on internet.
If you're wondering about the number of pages, i put the story on A5ish pages and its 71 (and i think letters are slightly larger and pages are slightly smaller than in average books, though really slightly. If you remove all the empty lines, itll probably be more like 58.)

"Nara liked the older woman's face: her smooth, even features, dark hair, and green eyes were just like Choron's."
The "even features" here confuses me. Is "features" an adjective?
Last edited by Drictelt on Apr 13th '08, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Dodopod
Cyborg

No, It's a noun: Her features are even
Counter Attack on the Meta
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Drictelt wrote:Why? Once sold a book, it's still possible to put the next one on internet.
Right, but once you've sold any materials you've written, you've become a professional author. It is impossible to recover from that; you will never again (morally) be able to claim you're an amateur. It's more of a title issue than a legal one; Irons could probably still enter amateur writing contests and such if all of his dealings went unreported, but he'd always know the truth.