Anyone actually play Minotaur?

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
Da Pissa
Born on Board

I know that it's kind of a running joke around here, but I was just curious. I figured that no one here would play it unless for nostalgia/amusement, since solo mode is useless from what I remember and multiplayer is AppleTalk only (besides, how many Minotaur fans do you know personally?). Am I wrong? It's quite unfortunate that the game's options are so limited, since it looks like it could be a fun old school dungeon crawler.

This year will be the game's 20th anniversary. Think Bungie will do anything with Minotaur? Feature it as an easter egg in one of their newer games? Give a story about the process of making it? Keep it under the rug?
Zott
Vidmaster

I've never had the pleasure, unfortunately, of being able to play Minotaur with anybody else.
The single player is just a familiarity experience and so lacks a lot of depth and any sort of goal. Seemed interesting in my time with it. I used to try to keep myself alive as long as possible in that final room when the time runs out.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
megabyte
Vidmaster

I play relatively frequently. I know two Minotaur fans I play with. We have a row of eMacs set up and get together and lan. I recently had the game retire a character (as a champion) for have a total of 50 kills and deaths.
I've been emailed around to people known to have the source code in an effort to port it but had no luck.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Da Pissa
Born on Board

Megabyte wrote:I play relatively frequently. I know two Minotaur fans I play with. We have a row of eMacs set up and get together and lan. I recently had the game retire a character (as a champion) for have a total of 50 kills and deaths.
I've been emailed around to people known to have the source code in an effort to port it but had no luck.
Whoa! Players really exist?

I'd really like to see a video of a multiplayer game. I've never seen one before, and I haven't found any Minotaur videos on YouTube.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

Does using Sheepshaver/Basilisk II emulators across 2 computers on LAN work?
bytebrekha
Spazeroid

Yes! (Seeing this 6 years later).

About once a year, I poke around online to see if anyone has ported Minotaur to a modern OS shell and (most importantly) IP networking. The dream lives on!

I'm sorry if you've only ever played single player, and I hope you get a chance to play multiplayer one day. My family played Minotaur so much, our games usually stretched until 2am or 3am. Controls were clunky, but great complexity, and it was hilariously fun. Great as 2x or 3x player, insane at 4x or 5x player. I think I got to do 6x player once.

My best memory is driving ~8 hours to MacWorld Boston in the mid 90's. We had 1 driver + 4 people networked on laptops & ethernet, playing Minotaur most of the way up. Among other things, it was a pretty surreal way to drive.

Anyways - my real point in writing this is (a) Minotaur remains one of my favorite network games to play, and (b) I really hope Jason Jones gets wistful in his retirement and figures out how to make it run via IP networking.