Marathon Map Making Contest VII

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

(why am I doing this again)

The last two mapmaking contests were a bit of a disappointment, I must admit. Though I was considering abandoning the tradition, I've decided to give it one more go -- a little earlier than it usually is, but that's alright.

This winter's netmap-making contest is going to be much simpler than the preceding disappointment, and with a little more leniency in the general system, to encourage greater turnout and (hopefully) a better set of final products. This time, the focus will simply be on careful mapmaking with thoughtful and intelligent design choices. The focus is on fun, high-quality gameplay -- nothing more, nothing less.

THERE'S A PRIZE!
Do you want the sweet-as-hell account 7777, user ID 7777? You know you do! This is the winner's prize. (No, not /prize.)

For the interested, here are the rules:
1) The deadline is December 16, 2008. This is five weeks from this post, a two-week extension from the typical three-week session. Absolutely no submissions will be accepted after December 16.
2) Only netmaps are allowed, and they must be original maps, not maps published or distributed before December 16.
3) Please try to avoid making gimmick maps and remakes. You will have a very difficult time justifying thoughtful, careful design unless you have a well-constructed, well-developed, and original idea.
4) I will accept up to two maps per mapper. Each map will be judged as a standalone effort. You are not necessarily recommended or required to submit two maps -- it will not benefit you in any way. Remember, one good map is much better than two mediocre maps, and the scores will reflect that.
5) Collaborative efforts are allowed, but not recommended. It is substantially more difficult to make a coherent and intelligent map with two minds working on it.
6) Your maps may not use custom scripts or physics. Shapes patches are allowed.

The objective of this contest is to make high-quality maps with a considerable amount of depth and thoughtful design. Your map will be judged on the composition of the entire map, so be sure to trim any cruft and excess that doesn't contribute to good gameplay. I'm looking for creativity and intelligence in the execution of good fundamental design.

The scoring will break down as follows:

* COMPOSITION: 15 points. This is a new category that covers general mapping style. What I'm looking for here is consistency in your map design. Make sure that all of the playable space contributes to a good, enjoyable game in some fashion. That doesn't mean that every space needs to be really big and ornate, nor does that mean that every space needs to see a lot of combat. All it means is that the entire map is of good quality and doesn't detract from the general experience.
* FLOW: 15 points. Players should be able to move around the map with ease and efficiency. This means no dead ends, no confusing design, no excessively long corridors, proper usage of platforms and teleporters, and just a generally clear and concise layout.
* BALANCE: 10 points. There should be no way for one player to hold an excessive long-term advantage over the other players. This means you need an even weapon balance, fair spawn points, etc.
* FLEXIBILITY: 10 points. This means two things: one, that the map can accommodate multiple playing styles, and two, that the map can accommodate varying group sizes. This does not necessarily mean that you can't make a rocket map -- just that there's enough to the map that players can experience your rocket map in different ways with some level of effectiveness. (Werefrog is a good example of a flexible map.)
* AESTHETIC: 10 points. This covers the general visual appearance of the map, including texturing, lighting, and architecture. The focus of this contest is not on how good you can make the map look -- but it always helps to look good. Make sure to employ differential shading when needed; make sure that you tastefully use multiple texture sets and shapes patches (if applicable); make sure the architecture does not detract from the gameplay.
* FUN: 5 points. At the end of the day, your map should be an enjoyable experience. This should be a no-brainer. Test your map thoroughly and make sure the experience is enjoyable.
* ORIGINALITY: 5 points. This covers two things. One, make sure your map does not immediately resemble another map. Two, make sure that you either use new stylistic elements, or use existing generic elements (an arena, for example) in a new way. We've all played Thunderdome. If you want to make a map similar to Thunderdome, you will have to execute the rocket arena in a new and inventive way both visually and gameplay-wise.

SCORING SUMMARY
Composition: 15
Flow: 15
Balance: 10
Flexibility: 10
Aesthetic: 10
Fun: 5
Originality: 5

As before, I will do my best to properly critique your map in these fields, though I don't guarantee it. (Last time Firefox crashed as I was writing the critiques!) Remember, this is just as much a learning experience as it is a competition. You don't lose anything for making a map, and the response can really help you. Keep in mind that you have five weeks to come up with something -- that is more than enough time for even the most sluggish mapmakers to come up with something careful, considerate, thoughtful, and cool.

If you have an idea, MAKE A MAP.

Submissions
Please submit your maps by email attachment to bolt0064@umn.edu -- do not attach it to the Pfhorums or send it by any other method. Send your emails with a subject like "Mapmaking Contest." Please send me the unmerged map file. If you have a shapes patch, please send that separately as well -- don't send me a patched map. I will not accept any files after December 16, no exceptions.

Other notes
Make sure your map works, and runs smoothly. There is no compelling reason to make hideously complex maps. Visual Mode.lua is a great tool, but you aren't required to use it in this contest, so if you feel like you would make a better map if it can run in Forge Visual Mode, do so! You may seek critique from anyone else when testing, but you can't ask me (for obvious reasons). I won't score your map for you before the contest deadline, so don't bother worrying about it. It usually takes a couple days to test the maps and get the reviews written for them. Submitting your map to me means you grant me the right to distribute your map as part of a map pack. You will be credited appropriately for your map. I reserve the right to disqualify any map or mapmaker for any reason not listed above at any time, or no reason at all. If you have any complaints, questions, queries, or anything else like that, you know how to contact me.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 12th '08, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

RyokoTK wrote:1) The deadline is December 16, 2008.
My birthday!

You can expect a submission from me.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

i'll keep this in mind
Kidtofu
Cyborg

Seeing as I have decided to give the xbox downtime until next year (street fighter four!), I guess its time to actually go back into forge. see if i can pump out anything. il probably be started today after school.

And yes, Im actually going to do it this time.
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!
CryoS
Vidmaster

hope ill do better than my map pack...
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

that is more than enough time for even the most sluggish mapmakers to come up with something
:C
I reserve the right to disqualify any map or mapmaker for any reason not listed above at any time, or no reason at all.
That's right, CLIQUE enemies.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Even you can scratch up a map in five weeks Windbreaker. I know you can.
$lave

Windbreaker wrote:That's right, CLIQUE enemies.
CLIQUE 2, UNITE!
The Thug
Vidmaster

I'm definitely going to submit 1 map, maybe even 2 maps if I feel extra motivated.
Last edited by The Thug on Nov 12th '08, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I'll submit one to a CLIQUE: Next generation contest, but not this one.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

I might make a map. Although I have little experience with Forge this would probably be a good start for me.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Maybe I'll enter it this time... and finally win after all those years... this time though, I can use custom texture ACTION!
CryoS
Vidmaster

shit.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

There's just under two weeks left, you guys.

I sincerely hope some people are actually making maps for this...
The Thug
Vidmaster

Hahaha. I should actually start my map one of these days.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
$lave

I have one map "finished" (although it has an area or two I'd like to fix, as well as some texturing issues), but I've also started another map which is almost sketched out. I'll see which I like better, and enter that one (or just enter both).

EDIT: Maybe I can release $LAVEDANCE and $LAVEWAD together
Last edited by $lave on Dec 6th '08, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Cyborg

Bump for maps made in 3 minutes.
I don't care anymore.
CryoS
Vidmaster

due to beeing unable to use forge (fixxed the emulator yesterday!)
i dont think that my map is done it time, although i will work to finish it asap and hopefully in time for the deadline.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

You have until the end of today, and I'm only judging based on my time zone. :P

So basically, you have 15.5 hours from this post.
CryoS
Vidmaster

Should be plenty of time if i lock my door, play loud music, dont eat or drink and ingore my family 'til then.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

CryoS wrote:Should be plenty of time if i lock my door, play loud music, dont eat or drink and ingore my family 'til then.
sounds like a normal day to me.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Well, anyway, the contest is over, I guess.

Results will come in a few days.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Results will come in a few days.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Wow, I have been having a bitch of a time connecting to the Pfhorums lately. Plus I had to wipe my hard drive. Results will be posted tomorrow, hopefully.