Kaboom Time Trials

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Guys, why don't we have a solo time trials contest for Kaboom-A-World (it's on this page: ftp://ftp2.fileball.net/fileball/marathon/infinity/net ).
The time will start the second you jump off the ledge, and you see how long you can survive. Then you post the film and time (countup stopwatch required)

EDIT: it needs more bobs to be fun, otherwise they all follow you to one side.
Last edited by Phortiphy on Nov 3rd '07, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
CryoS
Vidmaster

O i LikE ThaHt
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV

CryoS wrote:O i LikE ThaHt
that's sweet!

The Thug
Vidmaster

At first I thought this was a good idea, so I downloaded the map and played it. I was wrong. All you have to do is run around on the outside of the circle dodging the occasional Bob. I could play it for hours if I wanted too, but I have a life. The gameplay was still kind of interesting though.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
irons
Vidmaster

Just when I thought SHLYCS was gone forever...
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

The Thug wrote:At first I thought this was a good idea, so I downloaded the map and played it. I was wrong. All you have to do is run around on the outside of the circle dodging the occasional Bob. I could play it for hours if I wanted too, but I have a life. The gameplay was still kind of interesting though.
Read the edit!
Can't speel for hist.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Ka-boom-a-World makes a better KOTH or KTMWTB map than it does a solo map. Try playing it with 6 people (with monsters on of course)
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
treellama
Vidmaster

He's going to post every time he edits, so why don't we just disable edits?
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

From what I understand the original version of Ka-Boom-A-World used to cause OOS and crashes in AO in multiplayer (the new version fixed this) because of the number of Ass-BoBs prancing about the level.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Grayswandir wrote:From what I understand the original version of Ka-Boom-A-World used to cause OOS and crashes in AO in multiplayer (the new version fixed this) because of the number of Ass-BoBs prancing about the level.
Aha. This is why I asked the question about how many monsters you can put on the screen (via lua/MML) before it affects gameplay. Oh well. Topic Over.
Last edited by Phortiphy on Nov 3rd '07, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
Axle_Gear
Cyborg

I tried playing this map, and everything seemed to work fine. It was honestly pretty amusing to see how truly primitive the AI in the game was.

If you ran around the very outer edge of the inside of the arena, you can easily avoid contact with any of the bobs, since the AI tells monsters to traverse polygons from the center of passable lines (IE: they don't normally go towards the edges as long as you keep moving).

Another thing I observed was that if I waited long enough, the bobs would start to 'stack' on each other in one spot and get stuck. Then I would just jump into the arena and worry only about the dozen or less 'active' enemies.

And the real kicker was when the AI seemed to start getting overloaded. I would just stand in one spot, and pop a single bullet into any bob that approached me. He'd stop in his tracks, and then run off and distract himself with something else, never to bother me again. In fact, the only thing I had to worry about was the single bob that spawned every fifteen seconds. If I didn't get bored and blew up the stack of them in the middle, I think I could had gone on until the engine crashed.

Of course, the most fun was waiting for them to gather from above and then start a chain-reaction. =D
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

This is why you play it in multiplayer with KOTH Or KTMWTB.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Poopnolan
Born on Board

When i downloaded kaboom a world it was a .sit file and aleph one cant recognize it. How do i make it a .scea file so i can play it??
"Who wants to stack a million chairs? Who wants to rape a million bears? Who wants to eat a million pears.

Vidmaster

KARMA NOLAN wrote:When i downloaded kaboom a world it was a .sit file and aleph one cant recognize it. How do i make it a .scea file so i can play it??
you have to use a program like stuffit expander and maybe 7zip to extract it
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Nameless
Cyborg

Heres mine
Attachments
Nameless.zip
(114 Bytes) Downloaded 451 times
Goin' After The Rails On A Crazy Train.
Veiw My MarathonArt
Maybe if i PWN enof Newbs I CAN RAISE MY RANK IN THE SERVER FROM 3 to 1.....
"WAKE ME WHEN YOU NEED ME" (SPOILERS)MASTER CHEIF, Halo 3

Marathon : Vengeance
Why can't you see what i've done...
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Grayswandir wrote:From what I understand the original version of Ka-Boom-A-World used to cause OOS and crashes in AO in multiplayer (the new version fixed this) because of the number of Ass-BoBs prancing about the level.
*idea* well, since you won't need to play online, maybe we could have another version with tons more bobs!
Can't speel for hist.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

Pfhortipfhy wrote:*idea* well, since you won't need to play online, maybe we could have another version with tons more bobs!
i think i could perhaps release a new version for you guys soon to cover that. :)
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Pfhortipfhy wrote:*idea* well, since you won't need to play online, maybe we could have another version with tons more bobs!
But its boring by yourself...
The Pf'hak - Read it.
$lave

what a cooincidence, I have been working on a map like that... I guess I might as well post it here when it's done, I still have bugs and things to work out... and no, it is not meant to be a good map.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

$lave wrote:what a cooincidence, I have been working on a map like that... I guess I might as well post it here when it's done, I still have bugs and things to work out... and no, it is not meant to be a good map.
the same goes for kaboom-a-world. I throwed all my mapping skills aside. It was just supposed to be a fun novelty map.
Mordekai
Cyborg

"Novelty" is another word for "I'm to lazy/incompetent to make a real map, so let me throw this piece of crap together."
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

Mordekai wrote:"Novelty" is another word for "I'm to lazy/incompetent to make a real map, so let me throw this piece of crap together."
thanks
soulblighter
Cyborg

That's what friends are there for.
[viral]
Nobody hipped me to that, dude.
I will blight your soul!
The Thug
Vidmaster

Soulblighter wrote:That's what friends are there for.
Never end a sentence with a preposition fool!!
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
soulblighter
Cyborg

The Thug wrote:Never end a sentence with a preposition fool!!
Use a comma for a direct address, Thug.
[viral]
Nobody hipped me to that, dude.
I will blight your soul!