New Caustic Dystopia

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

August 17, 2012: Get the latest version of Caustic Dystopia on S7!

---ORIGINAL POST--

Back in 2008, when I made two or three new maps for an upcoming pack, someone (I don't remember who) jokingly remarked that the pack would come out fall 2010.

Looks like they were right. After two years of making zero maps and almost never playing Marathon, this summer I somehow got the inspiration to try my hand at mapping again. The result as of now is: three new maps, and two older maps updated. I plan on making more and more maps in the future, since I've had a lot of ideas I'd like to throw on the table. But, judging from past experience, I'm not setting my expectations high. One map at a time. In any case, I'll introduce some of the new maps to everyone:

Big Map

The center of an ancient s'pht city that has long since been buried by volcanic debris. The three massive beams keep this particular area somewhat hollowed out and intact.

This big map (HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!1) is probably one of the largest maps you'll play on multiplayer. While the action isn't as fast-paced as I had first hoped, it's still a lot of fun with 6-8 players. After play-testing it on all the different modes, I discovered the Survival script is a blast with even 3 or 4 players. The building in the north makes for an ideal, but not foolproof, base in which you can go between the trench and the balcony to kill aliens in the main battlefield.

GET IT: [attachment=4138:Big_Map.sceA.zip]
Attachments
Big_Map.sceA.zip
(90.77 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Last edited by Windbreaker on Aug 18th '12, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Preemptive Strike Remastered

An abandoned s'pht mining station with the tracks almost intact!

Some of you may remember a similar map from two years ago. When I played it this summer, I was unhappy with the flow and size, so I completely remade it. The result, I'd say, is ten times better than the original. Also I replaced some of the weapons with walkie-talkies.

Download: [attachment=4139:Preempti...red.sceA.zip]

Let me know what you think of these!
Attachments
Preemptive_Strike_Remastered.sceA.zip
(58.41 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Big Map is impressive. It's very attractive, but more importantly, it has a surprisingly small amount of dead space for a map that large. And that's not easy to do.

My real disappointment is that the hill is so vulnerable. I wish it was somehow protected, or off to the side somehow.
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

These are great. Any idea when you'll be ready to release The Refuge?
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

Awesome maps, Windbreaker! Your new maps (including the other two not posted here) are some of the best new maps I've seen recently. That would be funny if you did name that map "Big Map." You always have nice architecture and fun maps, and I'm looking forward to the pack release!
"My advise: V" - g pack
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:My real disappointment is that the hill is so vulnerable. I wish it was somehow protected, or off to the side somehow.
I have issues with the hill as well. I will probably end up making it a lot bigger, more like an arena-style hill I'm guessing. The problem was, I started with the hill and drew out from that. I had no idea how big I would end up making the map :)

Dis wrote:These are great. Any idea when you'll be ready to release The Refuge?
Yeah, it'll be released when the pack is released.
brilliant wrote:That would be funny if you did name that map "Big Map."
Oh, that's it's actual name. The working title was, "Good Fucking Beer", but I thought Big Map was more fitting.
Last edited by Windbreaker on Aug 21st '10, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
interion
Cyborg

Windbreaker wrote:Preemptive Strike Remastered

An abandoned s'pht mining station with the tracks almost intact!

Some of you may remember a similar map from two years ago. When I played it this summer, I was unhappy with the flow and size, so I completely remade it. The result, I'd say, is ten times better than the original. Also I replaced some of the weapons with walkie-talkies.

Let me know what you think of these!
I've only had a chance to play this once, but so far I think the original is better. It was smaller, and the space seemed more defined and memorable. I hope you'll keep both versions available to players.
Image Image
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Windbreaker wrote:Oh, that's it's actual name. The working title was, "Good Fucking Beer", but I thought Big Map was more fitting.
I still think "[XL] Tiny Map" would be better.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Before These Crowded Streets

Most of you will probably remember this one more than Preemptive strike. Retexturing the whole map and rebuilding certain areas is what got me back into mapping this summer in the first place. No idea what this map is about, but it's a lot of fun on KOTH, and EMFH is nice as well.

That's all for now. I have two other maps completed, but you can see those when the pack is released.

Download: [attachment=4147:Before_T...ets.sceA.zip]
Attachments
Before_These_Crowded_Streets.sceA.zip
(54.68 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
Sharkie Lino

I have played a couple of these and do like them a lot!
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

I enjoyed playing these maps, especially Before These Crowded Streets! But I was also unsatisfied with one aspect of the maps in general. It's no coincidence that this coincides with my newfound dissatisfaction in a trend other maps seem to have taken in recent years.

I'm of the opinion that a player should be able to take in and understand the structure of any given area in a net map in just one glance. If the player has to get a better view to figure out what's going on, then the map is not serving its purpose as well as it should. Too much variety in the use of textures that are close together can create visual distraction, and overly complicated architecture can even trick the player.

I think in your case, most of the problems in your maps can be solved by re-texturing certain segments, although in some cases the architecture could use a bit of tweaking. Let me know if you need specific examples. Take it to the next level! These maps are good, but they could be excellent.
gyffes
Born on Board

Ares Ex Machina wrote:I'm of the opinion that a player should be able to take in and understand the structure of any given area in a net map in just one glance.

Let me know if you need specific examples.
I'd love to hear these examples; I like these maps and found them -- with the exception of Big Map while under heavy assault -- very easy to grasp while on the run. I hope you're not urging him to have more contrast in his textures as a means of 'improving' a player's ability to discern different areas: they're visually cohesive which certainly improves the 'feel' of the maps, imo.

I tried to summarize for you why I felt your latest map needed work and I think it's just that: you have too many clashing colors and textures, it felt a bit like Tree's Werefrog mashup (though obviously far far less overwhelming/chaotic).
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

First I want to give my definition of what it means to change texture contrast. Texture contrast between two or more textures can be increased or decreased in one of four different ways:by choosing a texture based on its color.by choosing a texture based on its value (how light or dark the color is).by choosing a texture based on its pattern.by assigning a light intensity (0-20) to the chosen texture.
Fine-tune all four, and you've got the best possible result. It's important for a mapper to know when to increase contrast, and when to decrease contrast. I don't claim to be a master of this, but I feel I have a good enough understanding of it.
gyffes wrote:I hope you're not urging him to have more contrast in his textures as a means of 'improving' a player's ability to discern different areas
Not necessarily. I certainly would recommend he make adjustments to the texture contrast. Sometimes this means increasing it, but most of the time this means decreasing it. I would urge him to reduce texture contrast in certain situations as a means of improving a player's ability to discern the architecture of a wall or other type of structure.
gyffes wrote:you have too many clashing colors and textures, it felt a bit like Tree's Werefrog mashup (though obviously far far less overwhelming/chaotic).
If you'd like to point out specific instances, feel free to post them here.
gyffes wrote:I'd love to hear these examples
I'll give examples in a moment...but to compare, the possibility of being distracted by the texturing in the Bungie and Double Aught maps is practically none. I think those maps have played to the engine's visual strengths more than certain recent maps have. That said, recent maps are much more action packed and are overall more fun. But I think they could be even better by streamlining the gameplay visually.

DISCLAIMER: I'm going to nitpick a good map only for the sake of discussing map-making philosophies. This is not an attack.

I'll start with Preemptive Strike Remastered. The first thing that stands out to me in this map as needing visual improvement is the use of lights as a means to guide the player. And by lights I mean textures that are primarily white with an assigned light intensity that is close to or at 100% brightness. Bright lights like these scream "LOOK AT ME!!!!!". It's inevitable. Human eyes are drawn to contrast. Mastery of lights in map-making means you can use them to direct a player's attention to wherever you want, like a teleporter for example. Note that lights are not the only way of adjusting texture contrast, but they are definitely a convenient and practical way.

I think a brilliant use of lights is to highlight the frames of accessible passageways and windows, thereby directing a player's attention not only to where he might choose to go, but also to where he is likely to see another player emerge. This brings me to my first visual examples.

Original #1:
[attachment=4159:MPreempt...ed_0000a.png]
Part of the entrance in the foreground is accented by lights, so that much is working well. But now notice how the other lights catch your eye. As a screenshot, these lights look fine...but imagine being in the heat of battle, scanning for other players in a net game. Suddenly the lights become a distraction. My eyes are drawn to random columns of white, directing my attention to nowhere useful.

Re-textured #1:
[attachment=4160:MPreempt...ed_0000b.png]
Notice what I've changed. Now the lights are accenting all visible passageways, which is exactly where we will see players if they're going to emerge in this area. At the same time, these lighted passageways also provide us with a clearly visible indication of where we can choose to go from here. We can now see exactly where to go and exactly where we should watch for a possible attack, rather than being distracted by lights where they are not needed.

If I wanted to take this a step further, I would start decreasing the texture contrast that is happening with the red, beige, and white, just outside the passageway ahead and to the left. Doing so would make the structure more clear. But for now, it's safe to say this area is now easier to understand in a single glance.

Original #2:
[attachment=4161:MPreempt...ed_0001a.png]
Once again, the lights are asking us to look at unimportant pieces of architecture.

Re-textured #2:
[attachment=4162:MPreempt...ed_0001b.png]
So again, I've re-textured the lights to direct our attention to the only visible passageway. Note how doing this also makes the elevator stand out more when seen from the other side:

Original #3:
[attachment=4163:MPreempt...ed_0001c.png]

Re-textured #3:
[attachment=4185:MPreempt...ed_0001d.png]
Also notice how I've decreased texture contrast on the wall to our right, which makes the wall a bit less distracting and the structure easier to read.

Original #4:
[attachment=4165:MPreempt...ed_0002a.png]
This one is almost working, but not quite.

Re-textured #4:
[attachment=4183:MPreempt...ed_0002b.png]
Same thing as previous examples. Passageways have been made more apparent by using lights to guide us. Also, an adjustment has been made to the textures on the wall near the elevator to make the architecture slightly more clear.

Original #5:
[attachment=4167:MPreempt...ed_0003a.png]
Notice how the two ground textures appear to bleed together. This is an instance where more texture contrast is needed.

Re-textured #5:
[attachment=4168:MPreempt...ed_0003b.png]
The new floor texture makes things easier to read. I probably could have gotten away with increasing the light contrast without changing the texture, but this works. Also notice how all visible passageways have now been accented with light.

Original #6:
[attachment=4170:MPreempt...ed_0004a.png]
While cool looking, this mix of textures makes it difficult to immediately decipher the structure. (gyffes: I find this area much more like the Werefrog mashup than any part of my latest map.)

Re-textured #6:
[attachment=4187:MPreempt...ed_0004b.png]
Texture contrast has been decreased in certain areas, and increased in others. It may be more simple looking, but it's easier to understand. A better approach in terms of gameplay might be to illuminate the lower hallway, and take away the lights dead ahead on the side of the low ceiling facing us.

Original #7:
[attachment=4172:MPreempt...ed_0005a.png]
I find this segment has a bit too much texture contrast for my tastes.

Re-textured #7:
[attachment=4173:MPreempt...ed_0005b.png]
Here I've taken things to the extreme in terms of toning down color contrast in order to reduce the level of distraction and make the structure of this wall and ledge easier to grasp. I could have kept the original color concept more intact while at the same time decreasing contrast, but I think this gets the point across more clearly.

Original #8:
[attachment=4174:MPreempt...ed_0006a.png]
For not being a teleporter, this red-bordered platform has a great deal of emphasis placed on it.

Re-textured #8:
[attachment=4175:MPreempt...ed_0006b.png]
I would tone it down, maybe something like this. Flattening it out would further reduce its importance, but this is probably good enough.

Forehead Bashers:
This is an issue that was brought to my attention by one of Ryoko TK's posts. The following screenshots from the original map show situations where I would smack my forehead if I ran forward. This slows things down and makes games less enjoyable. This problem can be easily fixed by raising the elevation of the ceiling.

In each shot, I've placed my crosshair over the ledge that is destined for my forehead.

a)
[attachment=4176:PSR_head...ger_0000.png]

b)
[attachment=4177:PSR_head...ger_0001.png]

c)
[attachment=4178:PSR_head...ger_0002.png]

d)
[attachment=4179:PSR_head...ger_0003.png]

e)
[attachment=4180:PSR_head...ger_0004.png]

And this is slightly off topic, but maps these days are in need of more bug-testing before they are officially released. Unfortunately, this includes testing every wall by running into it. There are several places in this map where I've activated the glitch where I run into a wall and repeatedly bounce back into it if I hold forward. This can be fixed by ever so slightly torquing the architecture so that it isn't quite square; and if you do it right, you won't be able to tell unless you open it up with a map editor and zoom way in. You can see what I mean in Guns Against Death, just south of the waterfall.

And there are more texturing examples I could give for Preemptive Strike Remastered alone, but I'm getting burnt out here, so hopefully you get the point. My examples for the other maps would probably be similar:Decrease the contrast of textures within small regions in order to reduce visual distraction and make architecture easier to discern.Guide the player by using lights to accent passageways.Prevent forehead bashing by raising ceilings.
Attachments
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0004b.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0004b.png (309.17 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0001d.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0001d.png (391.01 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0002b.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0002b.png (422.43 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
PSR_headbanger_0004.png
PSR_headbanger_0004.png (237.41 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
PSR_headbanger_0003.png
PSR_headbanger_0003.png (196.13 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
PSR_headbanger_0002.png
PSR_headbanger_0002.png (237.28 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
PSR_headbanger_0001.png
PSR_headbanger_0001.png (310.74 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
PSR_headbanger_0000.png
PSR_headbanger_0000.png (190.84 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0006b.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0006b.png (219.55 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0006a.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0006a.png (230.22 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0005b.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0005b.png (279.73 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0005a.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0005a.png (291.51 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0004a.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0004a.png (303.08 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0003b.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0003b.png (463.22 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0003a.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0003a.png (465.03 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0002a.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0002a.png (467.98 KiB) Viewed 9189 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0001c.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0001c.png (423.02 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0001b.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0001b.png (296.68 KiB) Viewed 9189 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0001a.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0001a.png (311.96 KiB) Viewed 9189 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0000b.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0000b.png (388.71 KiB) Viewed 9190 times
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0000a.png
MPreemptiveStrikeRemastered_0000a.png (407.8 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Headbangers are usually more of a concern in stairways than shafts, if you ask me. Shafts, by their definition, go vertical, so in doing so there's an implication that you're moving down as opposed to forward. Stairs, on the other hand, imply forward motion, and hitting your head on a stairwell is inexcusable.

For my money, most of the rest of your nitpicks are not inaccurate, but they're a little extreme. Generally, you're on point though. A change in sort of the "ambient" light is usually more indicative of a threshold to me than actual light strips; for instance, a pitch black square in a distant wall indicates a tunnel to me where I can escape and hide. Furthermore, maybe Wind doesn't actually want to make every passage stand out. I think the expectation by the community that you can fully grasp an entire map at your first pass through is ridiculous, since no matter how simple it is, there are always intricacies that will elude you. Even if it's something as simple as finding rocket ammo on Thunderdome that isn't in the middle.

I mean, it helps when the flow is generally intuitive and players don't get lost. That's good, and accurate contrasting is really important to reach that end. But a map like Guns Against Death is inherently very complex despite having all of these helpful pointers saying "HEY THERE IS AN OPENING HERE," and having played it... oh, twice, I can safely say I still don't know it at all. Preemptive Strike is the same way, because most of the layout is more or less apparent to me at first blush without Wind spelling it out to me, but I would never claim to know it until I've played on it at least a dozen times.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Headbangers are usually more of a concern in stairways than shafts, if you ask me.
I agree. But I would also add that it's still bothersome with shafts.
RyokoTK wrote:Furthermore, maybe Wind doesn't actually want to make every passage stand out.
I haven't discounted this possibility. It's certainly a valid map making device that I myself would use if the situation called for it. But I would say that most of the time, visual ambiguity of passageways is unintentional.
RyokoTK wrote:I think the expectation by the community that you can fully grasp an entire map at your first pass through is ridiculous, since no matter how simple it is, there are always intricacies that will elude you.
Well, I can't speak for the community, but I certainly don't expect to fully grasp any map the first time through. My point was that it's good to make maps that strive for visual clarity.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

I haven't discounted this possibility. It's certainly a valid map making device that I myself would use if the situation called for it. But I would say that most of the time, visual ambiguity of passageways is unintentional.

Well, I can't speak for the community, but I certainly don't expect to fully grasp any map the first time through. My point was that it's good to make maps that strive for visual clarity.
While I agree with a lot of what you said in your previous post, I do believe most of the openings or transitions in the map are fairly obvious for the player to find in a pinch. It's also my belief that the comment made about columns of light "distracting the player" is more of a personal nitpick of yours than an actual issue, as I've gone through that section numerous times without being distracted.

That doesn't mean I automatically assume parts of the map I grasp easily, other people will grasp at all or with the same ease. I made the map, therefore I know it backwards and front, and I try to account for that bias when texturing, drawing, or giving heights to areas I think players might have an issue with. But, I've played enough through this map, as well as observed other people playing in these areas, that I think most of what I've done works well for navigation and visual purposes. I'm not completely discarding all of your critiques, far from that, in fact. I will probably end up retexturing several parts of this map as well as others, and keeping your critiques in mind when I texture future maps. However, for the most part I think I'm confident in the style of texturing on Preemptive Strike, as well as my other new maps.

I think in most cases of your retexturing, it's an attempt to make places less distracting, but I've never really had a problem with textures distracting me from players unless they are overly strobe-like, or clashing to the extent that I can't make out any architectural feature.

Also, I am well aware of those bouncy walls and they will be fixed before the pack is released.
Last edited by Windbreaker on Aug 27th '10, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Windbreaker wrote:I think in most cases of your retexturing, it's an attempt to make places less distracting, but I've never really had a problem with textures distracting me from players unless they are overly strobe-like, or clashing to the extent that I can't make out any architectural feature.
Well, the textures never actually distracted me from the players. It was more like the textures made it difficult for me get a grip on what was happening structurally in certain areas. One result of this distraction was that I failed to perceive which parts of the architecture were parts I could be attacked from. I also didn't quite understand where my escape routes were. These are things I normally pick up pretty quickly in other good maps.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

I've played several games on Big Map, and almost every time (at some point), I have been tricked by the texturing and/or architecture. I'm not sure if it's happening in the same place or not. But the problem is that I've been drawn to a wall accented with lights, thinking it's an elevator that will bring me up. But overall, the textures do a better job of defining the structure in this map than in PSR.

There are also a few forehead bonkers in Before These Crowded Streets.

RyokoTK wrote:Furthermore, maybe Wind doesn't actually want to make every passage stand out.
Ares Ex Machina wrote:I haven't discounted this possibility. It's certainly a valid map making device that I myself would use if the situation called for it.
Correction: I have used this. In other words, I don't think passageways should always be made obvious.

Ares Ex Machina wrote:the possibility of being distracted by the texturing in the Bungie and Double Aught maps is practically none.
But I also think there are some good modern day maps that use textures to clearly define structure. I don't think I've ever found anything structurally confusing or misleading in Red Spectrum (and not every passageway is accented with lights). And there are certainly other modern day maps with good texturing.
Nothing
Born on Board

Ares Ex Machina wrote:I've played several games on Big Map, and almost every time (at some point), I have been tricked by the texturing and/or architecture. I'm not sure if it's happening in the same place or not. But the problem is that I've been drawn to a wall accented with lights, thinking it's an elevator that will bring me up. But overall, the textures do a better job of defining the structure in this map than in PSR.
I have rarely felt tricked (in a bad way) by architecture or texturing effects on well-designed maps. So I'm not sure what you mean here, except that a certain area of the map was not what you initially thought it was and you've struggled to learn it and prevent repeated mistakes. I guess if we knew exactly which part you were talking about it might make more sense.

I think that some of the above re-texturing suggestions could be helpful, and I trust Wind to make good decisions about where to apply them without compromising the overall designs of the maps, which I think are great. But generally, I'm not in agreement that a map should follow the rules set forth, namely to only use "light" type textures to highlight passageways, elevators, and teleporters. Such a rule applied over several maps would be quite boring. I am of the opinion that given that other design elements are in place--the map flows well, balance of weapons, unique architecture that brings the player into a unique world with each map, etc.--being tricked here and there is good. The reason I can return with anticipation to maps in PL and PowerDrive, for example, even though I've played them dozens of times is that I never quite feel like I have the maps' architecture completely solved and the flow completely mastered. This by the way has little to do with the size of the map, as a small map can be designed in such a way to reveal new possibilities on each play-through equally as a large map.

So I guess I'm saying that, yes, sufficient escape routes clearly marked are good, but I don't encourage you to just go through and start retexturing all passageways to be light. An obscure entrance, a dark hallway, and map region shaded in such a way that it cannot be grasped fully in a single glance--a few of these things here and there are much appreciated and promise to keep me playing the map dozens of times. For what its worth...
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Nothing wrote:But generally, I'm not in agreement that a map should follow the rules set forth, namely to only use "light" type textures to highlight passageways, elevators, and teleporters.
Ares Ex Machina wrote:Note that lights are not the only way of adjusting texture contrast, but they are definitely a convenient and practical way.

Nothing wrote:So I guess I'm saying that, yes, sufficient escape routes clearly marked are good, but I don't encourage you to just go through and start retexturing all passageways to be light.
Ares Ex Machina wrote:I don't think passageways should always be made obvious.

Nothing wrote:The reason I can return with anticipation to maps in PL and PowerDrive, for example, even though I've played them dozens of times is that I never quite feel like I have the maps' architecture completely solved and the flow completely mastered.
This seems like a horrible reason to want to return to a map, but to each his own.
treellama
Vidmaster

Ares Ex Machina wrote:This seems like a horrible reason to want to return to a map, but to each his own.
Yeah this seemed like BS to me, too.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Nothing wrote:The reason I can return with anticipation to maps in PL and PowerDrive, for example, even though I've played them dozens of times is that I never quite feel like I have the maps' architecture completely solved and the flow completely mastered.
Nothing wrote:other design elements are in place--the map flows well
I guess you won't be returning to this map with anticipation.
Nothing
Born on Board

I recognize that you qualified your suggestions later. I was less criticizing anything you said and more giving my suggestion to Wind that I don't necessarily think all of your retouches are improvements.
Ares Ex Machina wrote:This seems like a horrible reason to want to return to a map, but to each his own.
Because the map has the ability to offer newness with repeated play and cannot be consumed or understand in the first run-through. Yeah, terrible.

We obviously disagree on this point of net map design and what we personally like. And the disagreement can be seen in the difference of design styles between, say, Guns Against Death and Wind's maps here.
Nothing
Born on Board

Ares Ex Machina wrote:I guess you won't be returning to this map with anticipation.
It isn't necessary that one understand all exits, passageways and routes *at a single glance* for a map to flow well. Nor are lighted doorways and elevators always necessary, in the way you've described, for good flow to be present. You're confused.
treellama
Vidmaster

Nothing wrote:We obviously disagree on this point of net map design and what we personally like.
No, this isn't disagreement on the point of net map design or personal tastes. You stated something that is complete nonsense--that or you're so spatially challenged and masochistic that you genuinely both don't understand the maps after repeated playthroughs, and moreso look forward to playing them because you don't understand them.

Or perhaps you really did mean completely mastered in which case, what the hell does that have to do with common decency clues to how to navigate a map? Do you applaud Russian airports as a model of good architecture, because they don't have signs anywhere and you enjoy trying to figure out where you're going?