Jjaro Texture Pack

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
baudrillardboy
Born on Board

I've been working on expanding the Jjaro texture set. It's ostensibly for a short, story-driven scenario I'm making, but since those have a tendency to never get finished I figured I'd at least post some of the assets in case someone else gets some use from them.

I love the balance between versatility and distinctiveness in the Jjaro set, but I always felt like it was kind of limiting. It lends itself to giant technological setpieces, but the amount of organic grime, paneling, etc. can tile in annoying ways if you don't add a lot of detail to the geometry. It's also missing a lot of the more technological elements one might expect to see in a giant ancient space station. So I had two goals with this project:

First, I wanted to be able to transition between existing textures more easily. This involves remixing some of the original textures to create subtle variations and blends. It also involves creating less distressed versions of textures with very visible grime/damage/etc., and creating more distressed versions of clean textures. There are also some utility textures, such as rotated or cleaned up versions. I tried to err on the side of subtlety for maximum cohesion.

Second, I wanted to create new textures to expand the types of rooms and scenes you can create. To do this, I basically hand-painted over existing textures (and two that I borrowed from Rubicon) to ensure that the tiling, colors, and visual language fit with the existing material. I wanted the new textures to feel basically indistinguishable from the originals. There are a few that are just in there for variation, and a few designed for adding details/greebles/etc. to the smaller bits of geometry you tend to get in Jjaro maps.

One big caveat: I don't currently have access to Photoshop (long story), so I'm stuck with Gimp for the time being. I don't really know how to use Gimp, so I kept it simple. These are all 8-bit 128x128 textures, not high res ones. This doesn't bother me because I prefer the oldschool textures anyway, but your mileage may vary if you don't.

Anyway, it's not polished enough to throw up on Simplici7y just yet, but I figured people might want to check it out. Let me know if you have any suggestions for additional textures!

Screenshots here.

And here is a download link to the files. There's also a test map in there. Note that it's just an old map that I retextured to show these off. It wasn't designed with these textures in mind, so it's not anything more than a convenient vehicle for you to open and mess around with. Note also that these files are NOT optimized, and the MML is extremely kludged together. It's just a work-in-progress showcase and a way to make sure the textures aren't lost to my hard drive forever on the off chance someone might be able to make use of them.
"its f***ed up how there are like 1000 christmas songs but only 1 song aboutr the boys being back in town" —@dril