projectiles/monsters go right through player

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
doctorbenjiphd
Cyborg

Hi. I haven't been around in some years but I've been playing a bunch of awesome Doom WADs lately and it's reminded me how much fun it is building 2.5D fps map architecture. I'm trying to finish a level but have ran into an interesting problem that I've never encountered before. Monsters can't hit me. they seem to just shoot right through me. And they charge at me, and walk right through the player.

This wasn't happening earlier. I have been tweaking with the physics model when this happened. But even now when I try and use the original physics, the same issue happens. It could be a map indicies issue, as it's another big map. But to troubleshoot I cut out 500 polys, and am still having the same issue.

Help?
The Man
Vidmaster

I remember having this problem before, but I can’t recall why it was happening. How many enemies are you using on the level? I seem to recall there being a problem with collision detection if there are too many active effects or projectiles on a map, though it’s also possible to raise the dynamic limits to some extent. Eternal uses the following code:

Code: Select all

<marathon>
	<dynamic_limits>
		<objects value="1024"/>
		<monsters value="512"/>
		<paths value="512"/>
		<projectiles value="256"/>
		<effects value="256"/>
		<rendered value="1024"/>
		<local_collision value="1024"/>
		<global_collision value="1024"/>
	</dynamic_limits>
</marathon>
Save that as something like monsterlimits.mml and drop it in your scenario’s Scripts folder, or if you’re developing for the vanilla game and don’t want to do that (or don’t want to break compatibility with your old films), merge it in with your level using Atque. That may solve the problem, but I can’t promise that it will. I seem to recall having the problem in one other context as well, but can’t remember why, or if I’m even remembering accurately.

(It’s possible that some of these values can also be increased beyond what’s included above, but I haven’t played around with that too much.)
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge