Marathon Survival Project

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Actually, I found the script very enjoyable. Maybe, if the map was enlarged into an arena, given powerups, and different monsters added to the mix (e.g. Troopers, F'lickta, Cyborgs, Drones etc), the enjoyment level would peak.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
megabyte
Vidmaster

VladTepes wrote:With Megabyte's script and its problems, I decided it was the right time for it.
I'd like to point out that there are virtually no problems in this script. The newest release fixes just about everything wrong in the previous versions. If there are any I've missed please point them out.
VladTepes wrote:Megabyte chose to use a random spawning system. While this system is extremely powerful (just look at left 4 dead) because mappers have little work to do to adapt, it is extremely hard to code in an efficient way (especially if you want enemies to spawn in "logical" locations)
I don't think you've even looked at the code for the Survival.lua. It does pick random spawn points, places monsters based on the polygons with the largest area and tries to place them proportionately throughout the map. Since it starts at the hill and iterates outward it will only spawn monsters in accessible locations (this is false if you are playing a map with a thin hall that is impassable and goes on for miles in which case you shouldn't be playing this map anyway).
VladTepes wrote:I found some kind of hack to make that possible, using teleport in / deaf / blind enemies that never get activated. I made a nice polished spawn system that distribute enemies on spawns to accommodate any kind and/or number of enemies without piling them. The core of the script is very flexible so the mapper can not only define what will spawn each wave, but also how many different kind of spawn points there will be and which enemies will spawn in them.
The upside of my script is that it will work on any map with a hill. This is much easier to map for and opens up the number of maps that are playable.

I know yours isn't finished but the scoring system and respawning systems need to be worked out.
Last edited by megabyte on Feb 15th '10, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
irons
Vidmaster

Oh shit, looks like there's Lua competition heating up here.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
interion
Cyborg

irons wrote:Oh shit, looks like there's Lua competition heating up here.
Well I wasn't going to say anything, but for the past several months I've been secretly working on my own lua survival gametype based on what I thought Left 4 Dead would be like before I had a chance to play it last year. I'm planning on releasing a collection of maps specifically designed for it, which is why it's taking so long. I wont post more details until it's ready to release this Summer, to prevent anyone from stealing my stolen ideas. But look forward to it, because it's going to be awesome!*

* co-op only, offer not valid if you're playing with retarded meta-players, which you will be
Image Image
treellama
Vidmaster

None of you can make a worthy Survival script without engine modifications. Muahaha!
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

OK guys, I'm going to write a survival.lua script. All of yours just suck too much.
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on Feb 16th '10, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Count me in, too.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
The Thug
Vidmaster

Ill make a poster.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
irons
Vidmaster

Count me out.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Hey, so I just got permission from RyokoTK to tell you I'm not interested, Dugit.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:None of you can make a worthy Survival script without engine modifications. Muahaha!
BRAAAAAIIINNNNSSSS.... *COUGH* Sorry, I meant... EEEENNNGGGIIIINNNEEE MMOOOODDIFICCAAAAATIOOONSSS
Last edited by Kurinn on Feb 16th '10, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Vladtepes
Cyborg

Sorry, I did not wanted to turn this promising project in a troll or shitposting thread? I maybe should have waited a bit before posting that. There is nothing personal in this and I do not think what you made is bad in any way.

Megabyte wrote:I'd like to point out that there are virtually no problems in this script. The newest release fixes just about everything wrong in the previous versions. If there are any I've missed please point them out.
When I started this your script had real issues. I did play your script and did look at the code, there still are some problems that I can see and I can also create maps that should be legit and do not work correctly. I would be glad to help you with that, but not on that thread.

Megabyte wrote:I don't think you've even looked at the code for the Survival.lua. It does pick random spawn points, places monsters based on the polygons with the largest area and tries to place them proportionately throughout the map. Since it starts at the hill and iterates outward it will only spawn monsters in accessible locations (this is false if you are playing a map with a thin hall that is impassable and goes on for miles in which case you shouldn't be playing this map anyway).
I think you misinterpreted what I wanted to say. I did look at your code. It is a random spawning system as opposed to fixed spawning system, where the level designer specifies spawning locations by hand. And when I wrote "logical" location it means, for example, spawning "sniping" units like bobs, missile fighters or enforcers on high ledges were they can shoot at the player without him being able to get too close too easily, or spawning "melee" units like normal fighters or explodabobs close to the player. Getting that result with the system you are using would be extremely hard to achieve.

Megabyte wrote:The upside of my script is that it will work on any map with a hill. This is much easier to map for and opens up the number of maps that are playable.
This is exactly what I pointed out. However I think the difference of mapping difficulty (putting a dozen monsters on a map should not be that hard) is largely counterbalanced by the advantages and flexibility embedded lua gives for a project like that one: logical monster placement chosen by the level designer, monster waves adapted to the map, its size and chosen difficulty level?

Megabyte wrote:I know yours isn't finished but the scoring system and respawning systems need to be worked out.
It is not even close to be a script. It is only a technical demo for a monster spawning system that circumvent engine limitations Treellama just wrote about. I maybe should have waited a bit to have something more streamlined on the netscript level and a better map that would have pointed out the differences between the two spawning systems.
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
Vladtepes
Cyborg

I decided to release version Alpha 2 of The Last Stand because I think it is quite playable as it. It now have a real map that is quite enjoyable even if it is still a bit small especially because the number of spawned enemies is proportional to the number of players.

Note: the map is quite hard and probably best suited for 1-3 players games

Here are the changes since last release

Base Script:Fixed spawning system to work with any number of different enemy types per wave.Reviving system: Players can't revive until all enemy are dead and are automatically revived between two waves.View other players screen when you are deadA proper round system that gives you some time to breath between enemy waves and at the end of the game.Partially externalized messages and timers: easily tweak messages and timers to match your map.

Script settings for the Map:Monster waves are more variedMore different monsters types (melee, flying...) by waveMix of Major/Minor units for a better difficulty adjustmentBosses [MLaugh]

Map changes:Totally new map ;)Sniping ledges (for monsters)Random spawning health canisters
Here are some screenshot of the new map:

And here is the map with embedded script.
[attachment=3602:The_Last_Stand_A2.zip]

Planed changes:Nicer interface with iconsMore complete interfaceScoring system based on difficulty level, time taken to kill enemy waves and players surviving ability
Attachments
The_Last_Stand_A2.zip
(12.62 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
CryoS
Vidmaster

remove the cans or it wont be survival! :C
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Dugit
Vidmaster

Holy shit this is fun! The only problem is that the map is again, too small- I need more space to run around.

This looks awesome with my new color tables.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
interion
Cyborg

Just a suggestion for anyone working on a survival gametype. If you allow people to revive other players, it would really help to point the radar towards the nearest dead body, because it's a pain to try and check the map. It would also be helpful to display the number of players currently dead in the hud so you'd know when you're the last one alive.
Image Image
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

I know this is supposed to just be a game type.
But it would be cool if the game had a teaspoon of plot.

Like, I don't know, you crashed there while trying to do something important.
Keep the map like it is, but then make a crashed aircraft scenery object, and then jam it where start point is.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

MoppyPuppy wrote:I know this is supposed to just be a game type.
But it would be cool if the game had a teaspoon of plot.

Like, I don't know, you crashed there while trying to do something important.
Keep the map like it is, but then make a crashed aircraft scenery object, and then jam it where start point is.
irons
Vidmaster

Good idea, let's go back in time and reprogram Tetris to have multiple plotlines and non-linear levels.
The Thug
Vidmaster

I'll make a poster.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:Good idea, let's go back in time and reprogram Tetris to have multiple plotlines and non-linear levels.
Yes, one plotline involves defecting to the United States by building a ladder across the Berlin Wall using only S pieces, and if you mess up the next level, you have to go back to the beginning and do it over again.

"At last... a unique game theme to bring in new players"

Last edited by Kurinn on Feb 21st '10, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
Vladtepes
Cyborg

If you want some plot featuring maps, just make some and I'll adapt them.
However, I think the last stand game mode is too "arcade" for that. And it will be even worse when I will have finished the scoring system.

CARNAGE!
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Well my idea was pretty much the Nazi Zombie plot from COD 5.
Plane crashes, you can tell by the crashed plane you see as you start the game, and then your surrounded by zombies.
DONE.

So, ship crashes, you can tell by the wreckage you see at the start at the game, then your surrounded by monsters, again, DONE.
xilef
Cyborg

That's dependant on who makes the map, I already tried making a survival map like that, the story was the players are cornered in a building with aliens approaching at all sides, they have to defend against the aliens whilst moving between the building and a near-by petrol station to gather the required equipment to survive.

However, it was not a "Marathon" like map, it required people to peek around corners, stay still, camp, move as a team and think tactically, there was no fluidity in movement at all.

You can make text appear on screen using lua, so it won't be hard to add text-dialogue of some sort.

So it's up to the mapper to add any hint of story.

Nazi Zombies? Bah, so unoriginal.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Whats the name of TGI's OSEF commander?
Carr was it?

All I remember of him is sending the Player in supported by the crew of the Istanbul in piss poor insertion points, resulting in the 92% casualty rate of the Istanbul's crew.

So here is the plot.

Your with the OSEF, and Commander Carr has sent you on a simple mission, but as usual he inserts you in the most horrible and unsurvivable spot.
The Pfhor jam any hopes of teleportation out of the area.

So your screwed. Try and survive.