M2ifying a map

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Is there a way I can remove/reassign all a map's references to M∞ content, without having to do a nuke & pave?

I've tried using JUICE to swap all Jjarro textures for others, manually changing all objects to M2-compatible ones, manually retexturing all panels since JUICE apparently won't retexture a panel, and changing the environment in Weland, but if I load the map using an M2 shapesfile I still get the "out of memory" error. I know I can change the texture set in Forge, but that apparently paves the maps and I don't want to lose all the texturing.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Is this "out of memory" error at all related to the similar error Windows users were mysteriously having trying to play Eternal?
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I don't think so? I considered the possibility, but a quick search showed that my out-of-memory error is a known issue when A1 tries to read from corrupt or missing data files, and an M2 shapesfile is naturally "missing" collections. If Eternal was having the same issue, wouldn't I still get the error, even though I'm on Linux?

Then again, every time I open the Eternal shapesfile with ShapeFusion, I get:

[ShapesChunk] Unknown collection version -10281
[ShapesCollection] Error loading 8-bit chunk... Dropped

So maybe for whatever reason, Linux A1 ignores that bit of corruption, but windows A1 doesn't?
The Man
Vidmaster

Have you tried using Chisel’s Texture Munger and seeing if that works? IIRC, that will change control panels.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
treellama
Vidmaster

I don't recommend using JUICE for anything.

For textures, I think I used a simple Lua script to remap textures for Marathon: W. Or maybe it was a Weland plugin. Either will work.

For objects, you might have to write a Weland plugin.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Thanks, Chisel did the trick!
ravenshining
Vidmaster

AcmeStation_0000.jpeg
The Man
Vidmaster

Glad that worked. Is that an M2 water/sewage/lava set translation of Acme? Intriguing.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
ravenshining
Vidmaster

The Man wrote:Glad that worked. Is that an M2 water/sewage/lava set translation of Acme? Intriguing.
Yes it is. Ever since seeing that graphic of Waterloo on Thing What Kicks, I thought it'd be fun to jump in the story at this point and keep going rather than diverting to dreamland. Reskinning Acme Station with S'pht textures lets me do that without using a custom or Infinity shapes file.

Of course after I did this I realised it doesn't fit with the M2 story, seeing as the human commandos were said to activate Thoth while you were busy busting dams and space stations, but nevertheless, here it is.
The Man
Vidmaster

Cool. At the bare minimum, you can do what I did and add an oxygen recharger.

(actually I also added about 200 more polygons to the Chronicles revision, but IDK if that’ll convert with Texture Munger. I can’t recall if it does landscape conversions. I don’t recall using anything beyond the usual 35 Jjaro textures in the Chronicles map, though.)

ravenshining
Vidmaster

The Man wrote:Cool. At the bare minimum, you can do what I did and add an oxygen recharger.

(actually I also added about 200 more polygons to the Chronicles revision, but IDK if that’ll convert with Texture Munger. I can’t recall if it does landscape conversions. I don’t recall using anything beyond the usual 35 Jjaro textures in the Chronicles map, though.)
Haha, no way, not for this little side-project. I've diverted enough time away from Eternal and M1R as it is.
The Man
Vidmaster

Fair. If you send me the script, maybe I’ll try it myself.