Improvising extra harmful liquids

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

Is it possible to make harmful versions of otherwise safe liquids by marking their space with "ouch" polygons? (both minor and major) I think that is how Bungie made the hotplate polygons for lava and pfhor goo in Marathon 1 before creating liquids for Marathon 2.

So hypothetically if I wanted poisonous sewage e.g. for the green slime in a recreation of a Doom map or a sewer level, I'd make a normal sewage pool and make the polygon an ouch poly. If I wanted deep pools I'd need a major ouch poly instead to make the entire liquid harmful instead of just the floor. This would have the annoying side effect of making the air above the surface dangerous too, but you gotta make do with what you have.

Would that kind of setup work?
Flowers
Cyborg

Lion O Cyborg wrote:Would that kind of setup work?
It does work, but there'd be two problems with this kinda setup
1. You couldn't mark these polygons as anything other than 'Ouch', which could be an issue if you needed these liquid filled polygons to have monster triggers or zone borders
2. It seems as though 'Ouch' effect makes your screen go purple, as if you were in Pfhor goo. This might be a weird contrast seeing as how the liquid itself is green.
The Man
Vidmaster

You might be able to fix #2 with MML. I suspect it’s controlled with the Pfhor goo damage transfer effect. Haven’t tested this though. Zone border polygon stuff etc. is a big potential problem though.

You might be also to replicate these behaviours with Lua – that is, in any polygon that you want to behave like a major ouch poly, then deal 1 damage (or whatever) to the player every frame (or whatever) if it contains a liquid of the correct type, and if you want it to behave like a minor ouch poly, then deal 1 damage (or whatever) to the player every frame (or whatever) if it contains a liquid of the correct type and the player’s feet are touching the floor (or close enough to the floor). I could probably write the code for this fairly quickly but can’t be bothered at this exact moment unless I know it’s something that would actually see use.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
ravenshining
Vidmaster

At the moment, I use this teensy bit of MML to change faders in M1R. M1A1 and Marathon 1 have much more elaborate sections than this if you want more examples.

Code: Select all

<faders>
  <liquid index="1" fader="17"/>
  <liquid index="4" fader="19"/>
  <fader index="19">
    <color red="0" green="1" blue="0"/>
  </fader>
</faders>
MML documentation is here:
https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https:// ... s/MML.html
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Oh, and of course you could use the <liquids> element to make all water or sewage on a level poisonous, as long as you didn't plan on there being more than 5 liquids.

Now, monster AI will need to be considered here:

If you're using ouch polygons, make sure to use the latest version of Weland and set the "Ouch is Lava" level parameter, or else monsters will walk in and burn. Once that flag is set, only flying and floating monsters will attempt to cross ouch polygons.

If you're using custom liquids, you'll have to set vulnerable monsters to be afraid of said liquid in physics. Monsters can't tell the difference between Jjarro and S'pht sewage, so avoid the temptation to make one of those poisonous if you want non-poisonous sewage on the same level. Instead, set water to be poisonous, and use the <liquids> MML to change the texture and faders.
The Man
Vidmaster

ravenshining wrote:Oh, and of course you could use the <liquids> element to make all water or sewage on a level poisonous, as long as you didn't plan on there being more than 5 liquids.
Note that you can embed MML in individual levels, which I use in Chronicles to turn lava into green Pfhor goo in, at the moment, two specific levels (“Dimensional Bleedthrough” and “Dream Brother”; likely to be expanded to a few others at some point), while leaving it normal in all the others.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Right, I meant more than five liquids per level. Not that I've seen anyone use more than two, unless you count Yuge.