Zircons of Zeal

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:For a net map!?
Er, *ahem*, ...yes.

Well, we can only judge the finished product...
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
ellio7t
Cyborg

Dugit wrote:Er, *ahem*, ...yes.

Well, we can only judge the finished product...
No, no one can. It wont play over the internet.
words
Dugit
Vidmaster

Trust me. I'm nearly finished texturing, and I've had no odd pauses or various other oddities when viewing across even the largest distances in the map.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Vidmaster

Here we are.

I've updated it on S7.

I got rid of the pointless secret.
Attachments
Amethysts_of_Anarchy.sceA.zip
(80.22 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Last edited by Dugit on Jan 8th '10, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Vidmaster

OK, it now has eight players rather than one for net play. I've updated it on S7.

What do you think? Better? Crap?

gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

I actually really like the look of this map. The inside may be a bit too dark, and there is a glitch next to the place that the teleporter leads to, but other than that I like it. Not sure if it would actually be good to play on, seeing as I don't do MP much, but it looks nice.
Dugit
Vidmaster

gmanyo wrote:I actually really like the look of this map.
Huzzah! [MGrin]

ellio7t
Cyborg

Pros:
Better use of lighting.
Better use of details and textures. Looks more Cohesive. Has a more realistic environment.
Not and open arena, uses the space in a more creative manner.
No dead ends, flow works.
I like the little area with lava set hole texture over the water set circle light texture.

Cons:
Too damn large. There is no way to chase someone over such a large space. Too much time running around is spent.
No real cover. In an area this large and open you have to give the player some chance to evade an attack from across the field.
Detailing is many time a waste. Its hidden or too small to be properly seem in such a large space. Those mini water falls just don't work, they serve no purpose.
Still too flat, over a large area you need to have a variations in height of floor.
You once again place the ceiling needlessly high. This make for huge spaces of tiled textures. The ceiling is part of the space, don't just ignore it.
Lighting needs more differentiating. Read hasturs workshop page on that. Lighting is what gives the depth of space in marathon.

That is all I have for right now. Your improving, but getting ahead of yourself. Focus on a small space and reworking it until it looks great. As it is you have a hand full of small maps no one is going to host(just guessing). Limit yourself to working in a quarter of the map space. You can always expand upon it at a letter date if you wan to go big. Focus and plan out what you want to do then try it and see if it works before posting here. Review what you like and think did well, as well what did not work. This mass map dumping will most likely not result in you becoming a good mapper.
words
treellama
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:Trust me. I'm nearly finished texturing, and I've had no odd pauses or various other oddities when viewing across even the largest distances in the map.
Yeah, I don't know anything about making net maps!
[attachment=3511:Amethyst...chy_0001.png]
On a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo. Do you think most players have that kind of horsepower?
Attachments
AmethystsofAnarchy_0001.png
AmethystsofAnarchy_0001.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 7620 times
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Yeah really. I got 12 FPS in about half the map.

So see, next time experienced mappers say your map is too big and is going to cause slowdown, maybe you should fucking listen you smartass.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Helpful post until the last phrase. eh.
But in all honesty, Dugit, when I say its too large, you're really in trouble.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:Helpful post until the last phrase. eh.
Oh good, when Envy is telling me how to post I know I'm in trouble.
irons
Vidmaster

Really in trouble.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Worked fine for me. Then again, I never use bloom...
Dugit
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Yeah really. I got 12 FPS in about half the map.

So see, next time experienced mappers say your map is too big and is going to cause slowdown, maybe you should fucking listen you smartass.
Next map. Next map pack. That was the last addition to Minerality.

treellama
Vidmaster

gmanyo wrote:Worked fine for me.
I really don't understand your reason for posting this. Are you trying to argue the map should be fine for everyone else, because it works on your machine? Or, are you trying to say I don't really get 12 fps, because it works fine for you? Or are you just trying to catch Dugit's shitpostcount?
Last edited by treellama on Jan 12th '10, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:I really don't understand your reason for posting this. Are you trying to argue the map should be fine for everyone else, because it works on your machine? Or, are you trying to say I don't really get 12 fps, because it works fine for you? Or are you just trying to catch Dugit's shitpostcount?
It was obviously an attempt to prove that I was better than everyone else because my computer can run Dugit's map without much lag.
irons
Vidmaster

WELL! would you look at that...

[attachment=3513:look_at_that.jpg]

Maybe you guys should stop hassling Dugit. And yes, I'm saying you don't get 12 fps. The proof is right here.
Attachments
look_at_that.jpg
look_at_that.jpg (312.18 KiB) Viewed 7617 times
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Oh man, I just want to thank all of you for this thread. Here I was, sitting around depressed, thinking about how much work I needed to get done today, and about how I'm just months away from almost certain unemployment. Frankly, I was feeling sorry for myself and in need of a great big boost.

Dugit, your ability to keep the masses going by hunting for praise and largely ignoring the criticisms and advice of expert map-makers has made me realize just how wonderful life can be. Never change. I believe in you! In fact, I believe in you so much that I think you're finally ready to experience that map. Let's get the old gang back together and we'll show you a classic map that was inspired by, and created for, people like you.

Vale!
Last edited by epstein on Jan 12th '10, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
Dugit
Vidmaster

OK, OK! I made another mistake; I got carried away. I swear I will use as much advice as I can in my next map pack. Minerality is finished.

@irons: Are you being serious or sarcastic?

@all: Yes I know it's too big. [MSmile]

@treellama: Shitpostcount. Heh. I swear I've stopped shitposting once I hit 1000. See: "I'm Sorry". [MFrown]

$lave

Dugit wrote:OK, OK! I made another mistake; I got carried away. I swear I will use as much advice as I can in my next map pack. Minerality is finished.
We've told you with every map you've released to try making smaller maps, and you haven't even followed that advice yet. Saying that you'll take someone's advice does not count as taking it.
irons
Vidmaster

Clearly $lave has never been in a creative writing workshop.
CryoS
Vidmaster

irons wrote:Clearly $lave has never been in a creative writing workshop.
My hero!
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
treellama
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:@treellama: Shitpostcount. Heh. I swear I've stopped shitposting once I hit 1000. See: "I'm Sorry". [MFrown]
I never implied you were still doing it (as often), but those 1000 still exist to catch up to, do they not?
Dugit
Vidmaster

$lave wrote:We've told you with every map you've released to try making smaller maps, and you haven't even followed that advice yet. Saying that you'll take someone's advice does not count as taking it.
I got carried away. I just kept thinking, "Ooh, one more would add more flow to the map", or, "That might make it look nice", so eventually, I found my way up to 1026, and didn't want to delete anything. I'm sorry.
Treellama wrote:I never implied you were still doing it (as often), but those 1000 still exist to catch up to, do they not?
So they do.