"Interrogation"

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

is it possible to make an event occur from an action? Like activate some P'fhor then have the engine turn off a teleporter? maybe redirect the teleporter to a crushing "interrogation" room? id love to do some sort of "hide and go seek" map where you go reconning around trying to avoid the line of sight of some P'fhor...
Last edited by envy on Aug 24th '09, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

With aleph one comes a lua and an mml guide. Even if you don't know much about programming, you can learn a lot about what's possible with scripting by looking around in these guides.
Without scripting, I'm fairly sure your two examples are not possible. You're main question is to vague to answer.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

my question is too specific for the guides, so ill spruce up the question a bit... if the character is walking about and he activates a npc, is there any way for the engine to notice the change and go activate something, via hooking all the monsters together and then using an extra room to have a monster shoot at a light switch to change my teleporter, sorta like this:
|______________________ -- ______________| ()=player -- = pfhor 8= fodder ||= light trigger
| |
|
|_____________________

all i need is a way to connect all the enemies to the one pfhor. maybe an activation noise with a large radius. idk... that would be LOUD!

Edit: it screwed up my visuals so ill put the message down here
P'fhor sees player, activates everybody, fodder and the lower pfhor are motionless so the pfhor hits the switch, causing the change.
Last edited by envy on Aug 25th '09, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

It can't be done.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

ill make a basic map. you cant say it cant be done if you haven't tried.
Last edited by envy on Aug 25th '09, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

*sigh*

Try it before you come here with questions.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
irons
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:you cant say it cant be done if you haven't tried.
Actually, you can. I haven't tried to make a map with bridges and balconies, but I know it can't be done. Sufficient knowledge of Marathon allows you to know what can and can't be done without explicitly doing it yourself. You, on the other hand, clearly haven't even tried working with MML, Lua, and most of the functions of Forge, but you want us to outline exactly how to do what you want. Mess around and learn for yourself first before you ask us to do everything for you.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Can you walk through a steel wall? No. Have I tried it? No. However, my limited knowledge of Physics tells me that walking straight into a steel wall will yield nothing but a sore skull.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

tehWastedJamacan wrote:Can you walk through a steel wall? No. Have I tried it? No. However, my limited knowledge of Physics tells me that walking straight into a steel wall will yield nothing but a sore skull.
You walk head first? That explains a lot.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Code: Select all

teleporterPoly = xyz;

triggers.idle()
   for m in Monsters() do
      if (m.type == "minor fighter" and m.active == true) then
         teleporterPoly.type = "normal";
      end
   end
end
It's been a while, but something like that should work. When a minor fighter sees the player, polygon xyz ceases to be a teleporter. No map tricks necessary. This assumes you don't use minor fighters in other places in this level, and that there aren't other things that will activate the fighter.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:
irons
Vidmaster

Crater Creator wrote:It's been a while, but something like that should work. When a minor fighter sees the player, polygon xyz ceases to be a teleporter. No map tricks necessary. This assumes you don't use minor fighters in other places in this level, and that there aren't other things that will activate the fighter.
If you help this guy now, he's never going to learn how to do things himself. He'll just make a thread for every room he wants to have in his scenario.
treellama
Vidmaster

irons wrote:If you help this guy now, he's never going to learn how to do things himself. He'll just make a thread for every room he wants to have in his scenario.
Plus if he uses your script he'll learn how to do things he shouldn't do, and also how to do them wrong.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

If you really wanted to do something like disable a teleporter, why don't you just make a door seal it off?
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:my question is too specific for the guides
How is that possible?
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
goran
Vidmaster

Envy, this is possible with the "enforcer switch" you have in mind. If you're not familiar with coding (lua), I'd say it's the best way to go.

To control the teleporter, it's best to do as shadowbreaker suggested. Two teleporters, and platforms sealing them off.
Last edited by goran on Aug 25th '09, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Drictelt wrote:How is that possible?
It's possible when you don't feel like reading the guides or trying to learn for yourself. TRUST ME.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

with respect to the top ideas, i had the idea after i asked the question. srry bout that. and yes, i looked through the guides, and the ones i saw told me basic things that i could do. fog, special lights... etc. is there a different guide?
what would i do with that script? i know how it works, i just don't know how to apply it. is it in this guide you people talk of?
irons r u hatin' on my forging skills?

oh and btw, quantum theory suggest that if you try to walk through a steel wall enough times, you may actually pass it... you'd just wear a hole in the steel before the quantum mathematics kicked in. but that isn't relevant at all...
Last edited by envy on Aug 26th '09, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Meta

"R U Hatin on my mappin?" R U fucking serious? Maybe get past the wannabe black delinquent stage before attempting anything like this.
irons
Vidmaster

Quantum mechanics: automatic genius.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Meta wrote:"R U Hatin on my mappin?" R U fucking serious? Maybe get past the wannabe black delinquent stage before attempting anything like this.
Quit being a Meta.
L'howon
Vidmaster

irons wrote:Quantum mechanics: automatic genius.
You've discovered the secret. I must award you your prize now.
Last edited by L'howon on Aug 26th '09, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
irons
Vidmaster

Lh wrote:You've discovered the secret. I must award you your prize now.
You added "e" to "thorns." Come on.