Weland Error and 5d question

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
infwaffle
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yes, this poor bastard is back.

So after another hardware change I've decided to go back and revive some work I should have finished long ago. I reinstalled Weland but now whenever I try to start it up it just crashes. I've also tried reinstalling C# and mono, but it hasn't helped. Here's the details that windows gives me
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Weland.exe
Application Version: 1.4.1.0
Application Timestamp: 51ad5009
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18229
Fault Module Timestamp: 51fb1116
Exception Code: e0434352
Exception Offset: 0000c41f
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
I'm probably just being stupid either way and if I can get it to work on a laptop that I have laying around then I don't have much of a problem. My next question is, if I were to have the thinnest wall possible between two entrances into rooms that overlap with 5d space, what problems might that give?
treellama
Vidmaster

Are you running this with .NET or Mono?
infwaffle
Mjolnir Mark IV

.Net, generally but I tried running it through mono too. Mono claims that it doesn't exist though.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

infwaffle wrote:My next question is, if I were to have the thinnest wall possible between two entrances into rooms that overlap with 5d space, what problems might that give?
Um... it might look weird, but that goes for any 5D space. One reason Aleph One is neat is because it doesn't have to treat 5D space differently than other geometry.

If you get problems, they're likely only tangentially related to the 5D space. In other words, they're typically fixed by slightly tweaking a line here and there, without having to change the topology. The last couple of Forge tutorials show some examples, and how to fix them. But if I were you, I'd just try it, and let us know if you encounter unexpected behavior.
infwaffle
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thanks Crater.

One more question I just thought of; In terms of map limits, how big is thunderdome? One of the things I still haven't played with is proportions and measurements for my map. I have an idea but I already know that might end up more difficult than just putting it in.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Neither Thunderdome (Marathon 2) nor Beyond Thunderdome (Marathon ∞) is close to any map limit. But for that fact to mean much, you have to understand what kinds of limits matter. Where the engine is concerned, there's nothing intrinsically problematic about a big map. There are more specific things to avoid:
  • Places where the player's view extends too far
  • Places where the player can see too many lines
  • Too many polygons or objects in a level
  • And many more, increasingly obscure circumstances
Those were the things you had to avoid when making maps for the original games. Aleph One is much less limited, but it's still good practice to keep a lid on things, for performance if nothing else.

If your map is like either Thunderdome in the ways that count, it should be a cake walk for the engine to handle.