I'm making maps now.

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
ftg.death.rhino
Born on Board

As you have seen, I have released my first map on Simplici7y, "I Envy The Trees...". Unfortunately, this map breaks a lot of RyokoTK's criteria. It is a good map, don't get me wrong but it is only just a first. I am now working on a real pet project, one I am calling "Terra Pfhor" (Marathon's annoying consistency to use latin)

Another note; I suck at elevation, lighting and liquids. I was wondering if someone could help me with Weland.
Liquid Fader Removal

Code: Select all

<marathon>
<!-- BAN ALL WHO REFUSE TO DOWNLOAD --!>
<player index="0" opacity="0"/>
</marathon>
$lave

What kind of help are you looking for? I can give advice and tell you how to use weland, but I won't make your maps for you.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I would advise looking for maps that you think make good use of lighting, liquids, or elevation, and opening them up in Weland to see how they did those things. For instance, the radar-like lighting effect on Rubicon's 'Five Finger Discount' (found in some of the ventilation shafts, along with a Shotgun and some ammo). It's difficult to see how you would re-create it until you look at the lighting parameters. It's basically just one light for each polygon, all with different 'phases', making them all 'activate' at slightly different times and creating the appearance of a spinning light. I actually kind of borrowed that effect for a map I'm working on, partly as practice, mostly because I thought it looked cool.
craZboy557
Cyborg

I've been making a map in Weland. It's not finished yet, and it's the first I've made so I can't exactly say I have a lot of experience, but I haven't had too much trouble with elevation. If you could be any more specific as to what you mean by help I might be able to be of service.
Spoiler:
Sig of the Week:
Most of my suggestions for how to improve a game boil down to "It should be more like Halo."

Asylum
Cyborg

craZboy557 wrote:I've been making a map in Weland. It's not finished yet, and it's the first I've made so I can't exactly say I have a lot of experience, but I haven't had too much trouble with elevation. If you could be any more specific as to what you mean by help I might be able to be of service.

If you haven't noticed, this is ftg.death.rhino's thread, not yours.
TWEENAGE_WASTELAND.png
(●__●)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(●__●)
craZboy557
Cyborg

I figured it was encesarry to note my lack of experience. I could see how it would be taken as self promotion, though.
Spoiler:
Sig of the Week:
Most of my suggestions for how to improve a game boil down to "It should be more like Halo."