Weland & Visual Mode questions

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
phoebegraubard
Born on Board

Will Weland work with Lion?

Visual Mode interface seems peculiar to me. It does't seem to work as described in the ReadMe. Key combos that are supposed to do one thing do something else entirely. Is there any page or discussion that describes how to use Visual Mode that's more comprehensive than the readme?
treellama
Vidmaster

OrangeApollo wrote:Will Weland work with Lion?
Works for me!
Visual Mode interface seems peculiar to me. It does't seem to work as described in the ReadMe. Key combos that are supposed to do one thing do something else entirely.
Can you give an example?
phoebegraubard
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:Works for me!
Can you give an example?
Thank you, treellama, for getting back to me. I find the interface for Visual Mode very confusing. Here are some of the problems I'm having:

Before I started, I switched all of the key assignments to default, except for the backward movement key which I assigned to the s key. No, I don't have capslock on. I've been using the mouse to get around in the A1 world.

it says here that if I press the action key it switches between move mode and texture mode. However when I press the action key it switches between the texture mode and the map view. I am unable to switch textures. It says in texture mode to hold down the mic key and press previous or next weapon. In my menu the mic key is ` key, previous and next weapon are defined by the z and c keys, however this combination doesn't work to switch textures for me.

I can apply the texture which is selected by pressing the left mouse button but I'm unable to undo as says in the readme, "if you apply the wrong texture press and hold the microphone key and then press the action key to undo", but this doesn't work for me either.

The readme says that to save the level bring up the console by pressing the console key. My console key is indicated as a backslash, but that doesn't work for me either. No console prompt appears. The left mouse button appears to switch between texture and light menus at the top of the screen, however I don't really know how to select items in the top menu bar, the mouse wheel then appears to switch between the 2nd and 3rd item on that menu, but not others.

This is a sample of the kind of problems I'm having. Perhaps some of them are just simple beginner mistakes, or I'm not reading the instructions right, but I'm confused, can you help?

Thanks,

Ken
Last edited by phoebegraubard on May 30th '12, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

It sounds like the problem could be with visual mode, specifically, or with key bindings, in general. Do all your key mappings work outside of visual mode? In other words, if you're not using visual mode do your keys for action, map, next/previous weapon etc. do what they're supposed to do?
phoebegraubard
Born on Board

Crater Creator wrote:It sounds like the problem could be with visual mode, specifically, or with key bindings, in general. Do all your key mappings work outside of visual mode? In other words, if you're not using visual mode do your keys for action, map, next/previous weapon etc. do what they're supposed to do?
Thanks CC, going over my key bindings I find that somehow the action key was not the tab key. I don't know how that happened, but I fixed it.

But there is still some strangeness: when I go to the key assignments in aleph one configure keys/buttons menu I see that the backslash is indicated for the chat console, but when I go to select a new key for that function and push the backslash key the chat console slot now shows the check, (the lowercase of the key for the ~,) instead of the backslash. Similarly, the microphone slot shows that check, (lowercase for the ~), but when I go to assign a key for the mic and press that key, (the tilde key,) what I get is a 'less-than' character. This is serious weirdness. Perhaps there is something wrong with Aleph One, I believe I have the latest version 1.0.1.

However, the commands for visual mode appear to work with these new assignments. That is, when I use a command that involves the microphone key (tilde) then it works now. It's just that in the configure keys/buttons menu the list shows the wrong key. I can send you a screenshot of this menu if you need it. I don't know what you will make of this, but I think I can use it as long as I'm careful to assign the right key to the right function even if the menu shows the wrong key.

Not all keys show the wrong mark, most keys are correct. I can proceed with Visual Mode.

Thank you for your help,

Ken
Last edited by phoebegraubard on May 30th '12, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Are you using a US keyboard layout? Can you post your operating system / other relevant info? The key names we use on that screen come from SDL, and it's possible the map of names is incorrect. But, as you saw, the in-game behavior should match the key you mashed when setting up the preferences.
Last edited by treellama on May 30th '12, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
phoebegraubard
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:Are you using a US keyboard layout? Can you post your operating system / other relevant info? The key names we use on that screen come from SDL, and it's possible the map of names is incorrect. But, as you saw, the in-game behavior should match the key you mashed when setting up the preferences.
Yes, I checked to make sure I was in the U.S. English keyboard. I have a Mac Pro 2 ex 2.6 6G HZ dual core Intel Xeon. My operating system is 10.6.8 I have 4 GB of RAM.

It appears that at least for those 2 keyboard mappings the wires are crossed somehow. I am able to use Visual Mode but the interface still puzzles me. For example, in order to switch textures I have to hold down the mic key and press the trigger key to step through the textures. Holding down the mic key and then pressing the change weapons keys z & c, as it says in the readme, changes from one texture set to another.

I'm still not sure how to select items in the top menu bar since you can't access them with a cursor, perhaps I can learn by experiment. As I said, some items are selected by the change weapons keys, but not all. Because I've got over the main hurdles I will continue to experiment with visual mode and learn its quirks. I have used to Forge and actually created some rudimentary maps so I have a basic understanding of what's going on.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Last edited by phoebegraubard on May 30th '12, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

OrangeApollo wrote:This is serious weirdness. Perhaps there is something wrong with Aleph One, I believe I have the latest version 1.0.1.
Also, while it's likely irrelevant to this problem, the latest version is now 1.0.2.
treellama
Vidmaster

OrangeApollo wrote:Yes, I checked to make sure I was in the U.S. English keyboard. I have a Mac Pro 2 ex 2.6 6G HZ dual core Intel Xeon. My operating system is 10.6.8 I have 4 GB of RAM.
Do you use an Apple keyboard? Bluetooth? USB?

It appears that at least for those 2 keyboard mappings the wires are crossed somehow. I am able to use Visual Mode but the interface still puzzles me. For example, in order to switch textures I have to hold down the mic key and press the trigger key to step through the textures. Holding down the mic key and then pressing the change weapons keys z & c, as it says in the readme, changes from one texture set to another.

I'm still not sure how to select items in the top menu bar since you can't access them with a cursor, perhaps I can learn by experiment. As I said, some items are selected by the change weapons keys, but not all. Because I've got over the main hurdles I will continue to experiment with visual mode and learn its quirks. I have used to Forge and actually created some rudimentary maps so I have a basic understanding of what's going on.

Thank you for your suggestions.
The icons are the ones Marathon Infinity used for key assignment. The hand is the action key; the arrow pointing left is previous weapon; the arrow pointing right is next weapon; the gun is the primary trigger; the grenade is the secondary trigger.

When you hold mic, these will change. Likewise, if you go to the overhead map mode, they will change. Holding mic there can sometimes change them again.

In texture mode, the second icon from the left is a status icon, that indicates the state of apply textures (upper left quarter), apply lights (upper right quarter), apply aligned (lower left quarter), and whether to apply to transparent lines (lower right quarter). Beside it is a number indicating the current light, and the current texture mode. All six of these things can be changed with various combinations of overhead map, mic, prev/next, and primary/secondary trigger.
phoebegraubard
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:Do you use an Apple keyboard? Bluetooth? USB?

The icons are the ones Marathon Infinity used for key assignment. The hand is the action key; the arrow pointing left is previous weapon; the arrow pointing right is next weapon; the gun is the primary trigger; the grenade is the secondary trigger.

When you hold mic, these will change. Likewise, if you go to the overhead map mode, they will change. Holding mic there can sometimes change them again.

In texture mode, the second icon from the left is a status icon, that indicates the state of apply textures (upper left quarter), apply lights (upper right quarter), apply aligned (lower left quarter), and whether to apply to transparent lines (lower right quarter). Beside it is a number indicating the current light, and the current texture mode. All six of these things can be changed with various combinations of overhead map, mic, prev/next, and primary/secondary trigger.
Thanx, that's what I wanted to know. Now I have to practice and get used to it.

Hmm. One question, how do I assign switches to platforms or tags? <EDIT> Got it!

Ken
Last edited by phoebegraubard on May 31st '12, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

phoebegraubard wrote:Will Weland work with Lion?

Visual Mode interface seems peculiar to me. It does't seem to work as described in the ReadMe. Key combos that are supposed to do one thing do something else entirely. Is there any page or discussion that describes how to use Visual Mode that's more comprehensive than the readme?
Is weland same like Mac OS X Forge? (The functionality)
jonny
Born on Board

Overwatch_C-17 wrote:Is weland same like Mac OS X Forge? (The functionality)
Yes, but without Visual Mode. The Visual Mode being discussed here is an AlephOne plugin that enables texturing in game. I never used Forge, but from what I understand, Weland is actually a bit more powerful and a lot more stable. Weland also supports plugins of its own - there's not many, but they can do things like creating a report of tag assignments, creating a set of stairs, drawing circles, etc.
Look out - he's nuts!
craZboy557
Cyborg

Oooh, is there actually a stairs plugin? Haven't heard of that one.
Spoiler:
Sig of the Week:
Most of my suggestions for how to improve a game boil down to "It should be more like Halo."

Overwatch_C-17
Born on Board

craZboy557 wrote:Oooh, is there actually a stairs plugin? Haven't heard of that one.
I see one on Simplici7y.com