Bridges w/ Underpass

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
BlackMageAnolis
Born on Board

Someone mentioned Hastur's Workshop having some tutorials on creating bridges, but the link led to a 404. I had the desire to implement bridges with underpasses in this map for a long while, and I was wondering how one would go about that. I have an inkling on what to do, but I want to be able to do it without borking my map.
The Man
Vidmaster

See if this works. I’ve been meaning to host it properly, but I don’t currently have a website up. I’ll get around to it again someday.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
ktaur
Born on Board

If you're referring to 5D space "bridges" (Hastur's Workshop features one from "One Thousand Thousand Slimy Things") that's fairly simple. If you want to make true bridges, however, you might check out Better Bridges (http://simplici7y.com/items/better-bridges-5).
The Man
Vidmaster

Better Bridges has very limited application, though - it basically only works if you don't plan to have monsters in the region, and I can't imagine there are many cases like that in a map. It's like the "duplicate the map area and restrict the player's view, and use landscape textures on the ceiling for the view from beneath the bridge" trick in Missed Island - sure, that's cool too, but again, you can't allow monsters, or the effect breaks.

Another method involving untextured sides works a bit better with flying monsters, and you can even allow non-flying monsters in limited applications, but it's going to be phased out in the next renderer, so I strongly advise against using it. (It also depends on restricting the player's view and doesn't work in software mode). The Where Monsters Are in Dreams level "Theme from Shaft" (timestamped) makes extensive use of it, as does the level "Jjaro Is Jjaro for Jjaro". "Where the Shadows Lie", the level after "Theme from Shaft" in the first video, also uses the trick, though not for bridges.

Part of why WMAiD remains unreleased is because we need to figure out what to do with these levels. In "Where the Shadows Lie", we'd just have to get rid of the holograms and floating discs (RIP), but "Theme from Shaft" and "Jjaro Is Jjaro for Jjaro" need to be redesigned a lot more beyond that. Several other levels, including levels that are 10+ years old, have the same issue to a lesser extent, as does one further level, "Laws of Time and Chaos", that is not and probably never will be completed in its current form. (Other factors are still preventing WMAiD from being released, too - off the top of my head, a few other levels need to be finished, several levels need to be retextured in full or in part, one and a half texture sets need to be remade, a lot of writing still needs to be done, and a lot of music still needs to be completed.)
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge