Dropship.lua

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
raithe
Cyborg

README file: \\\"What is one important asset to an invasion? A dropship! Invade any UNMERGED map with this script: Dropship.lua! (It won\\\'t work properly if the map is merged. If you really want to invade an merged map, you can split it using Atque). You can deploy up to 2 different types of units, which you can order to attack any enemy by \\\'shooting\\\' the enemy monster (make sure you have fists out).
NOTE: Your units can be distracted before they fire at their given target
A dropship is also supposed to be able to fly. Press the \\\"previous weapon\\\" and \\\"next weapon\\\" buttons (for those I use Q and E since I control with WASD) to adjust the speed to reverse or forward (given in the upper left-hand corner) and the microphone button to activate the thrusters
(recommended to set the caps lock key as the microphone button).
Thrusters: when you have thrusters on, you are capable of flying around as you please, but you cannot use the cannon. When you have thrusters off, you are air-braked and cannot move anywhere, but you can operate the cannon and your health will charge up.
NOTE: you will always know when you have the cannon as your current weapon if the weapons HUD is blank. you cannon switch from it (for whatever reason) until you activate thrusters again.
To select which unit to deploy, press the toggle map button. The unit that is currently able to be deployed (by pressing the action button) is indicated on the top middle of the screen. To recall your units, press the alt-fire button.
NOTE: once again, your units can be distracted by enemies before they get to you.
The current cost for Hunter-Seekers is 500 credits, and 525 for the Drone Brute. You gain credits by killing enemies or from your units killing them. You cannot have more than 5000 credits. All in all, the credit system will be a bit choppy until I can figure how to fix it better.

KNOWN BUGS: When the thrusters are off and you have the cannon equipped, a random explosive skull flies off in a somewhat random direction from you when you turn the thrusters back on. I still have yet to figure that out.\\\"

Feedback and bug reporting would be appreciated.

UPDATE:
Fixed the skull problem finally and a few other little things. Lowered the speed level.

>>LATEST VERSION<<
[attachment=4033:Dropship_1.03.zip]
[attachment=4007:Duality_0003.png]
[attachment=4008:Duality_0005.png]
Attachments
Dropship_1.03.zip
(6.96 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Duality_0005.png
Duality_0005.png (2.2 MiB) Viewed 5940 times
Duality_0003.png
Duality_0003.png (2.5 MiB) Viewed 5940 times
Last edited by raithe on Aug 3rd '10, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
Until next time...
RAITHE [Pfhor Military Base AI Ver. 4.2]
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

This is a neat script. The player moves too quickly though, and stops on a dime. It would be nice if the player came to a smooth stop. Also, movement is limited, I can't slide directly upwards or downwards. It'd be neat if the computer controlled some ships for you to fight, probably Juggernauts.

This could be very cool in a scenario where ships are involved, and not just dropships. There could be a starfighter script, with torpedoes and lasers.
Last edited by President People on Jul 31st '10, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
raithe
Cyborg

President People wrote:This is a neat script. The player moves too quickly though, and stops on a dime. It would be nice if the player came to a smooth stop. Also, movement is limited, I can't slide directly upwards or downwards. It'd be neat if the computer controlled some ships for you to fight, probably Juggernauts.

This could be very cool in a scenario where ships are involved, and not just dropships. There could be a starfighter script, with torpedoes and lasers.
Yeah the acceleration is pretty crazy. Since I wasn't going for the starfighter controls and more of a controlled craft, I didn't exactly make it too insane on the z axis, but it is kinda frustrating moving up and down so slowly when you try to get to higher ground. The only problem with upping the z speed is it gets pretty wacky, wildly going up and down. I could make it so when your view looks level (with a bit of an up or down) you won't go up higher or lower unless you look further up or down. I'm not sure if I could do the smooth stop. Maybe that's because I don't want to think too hard. But there is a possibility...
Until next time...
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

I hope this gets implemented in a scenario.
My dream come true! Supporting Bobs from the skies, you could save so many!

Marathon AC-130.
raithe
Cyborg

I'll continue updating it on simplici7y for the time being:
http://www.simplici7y.com/items/dropship-lua
Until next time...
goran
Vidmaster

My troops were invisible and didn't do anything.Anyone else got the same problem?
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

G.S.10 wrote:My troops were invisible and didn't do anything.Anyone else got the same problem?
Yes, I have the same problem. I can shoot missiles and move around and stuff, but they are invisible. I can see them on radar, though. I'm not sure I installed it right or not. I selected the lua under scripts in environment, and I figured the file just named Dropship is the physics file. Is that right?
"My advise: V" - g pack
raithe
Cyborg

brilliant wrote:Yes, I have the same problem. I can shoot missiles and move around and stuff, but they are invisible. I can see them on radar, though. I'm not sure I installed it right or not. I selected the lua under scripts in environment, and I figured the file just named Dropship is the physics file. Is that right?
Yes. I figured it out, very odd indeed. The only thing I could possibly think of at them moment to fix it would command the monster to "activate", so hopefully I can fix it. When I am high in the air and I deploy, I get the same problem. For now, you have to be closer to the ground for it to work.
Last edited by raithe on Aug 1st '10, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
Until next time...
megabyte
Vidmaster

This was a problem i had with my Survival script. Did you import all the necessary collections?
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
raithe
Cyborg

Nope. That is probably the problem.
As for the credit flow...
do you guys think I should make it so you get a steady flow of credits or a periodical paycheck (perhaps based on the amount of monsters you kill in that period)? I fixed the problem by the way.
Last edited by raithe on Aug 3rd '10, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Until next time...
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

Cool, the problem with the invisible troops is fixed. I like the current setup (where the player gets credits each time a monster is killed). This is an awesome script! Thank you, RAITHE!
"My advise: V" - g pack
raithe
Cyborg

No problem. I like making these kind of scripts. I like the current setup too, but the only problem is that it is unstable depending on the level. Some levels you end up out of credits easily and some levels you get your credits to 5000 even after you deploy lots of troops. The monster_killed function doesn't shut off immediately after the monster is killed, so the amount of income per monster is almost indefinite.
Until next time...
raithe
Cyborg

I also noticed that if you launch a game twice in Aleph One with the script, the script will not work properly. I don't know why this is and I would like to know if anyone already knows, but I DO know that it works just fine if you quit and reopen Aleph One. (IMPORTANT: Make sure you that your CAPS LOCK is off before the game starts.)
Until next time...