Apotheosis – Rebuild

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Dynamo
Born on Board

Congratulations on getting this finally out the door! I look forward to playing it as soon as I have the time :D
Shocktart
Cyborg

hypersleep wrote: Oct 1st '22, 03:20 I'll also mention that we rarely cut frames, outside of certain death and firing animations where it was the logical way to suggest sudden movement. For the majority of the animation, we hand keyed every. damn. frame. Exhausting but totally worth it considering you see the animations play on loop for hours.
Are you using your own developer tools? I didn't know there was a program that allowed more than 8 frames for sprites.
hypersleep
Born on Board

No, just Shapefusion – 15 is the max.
The Man
Vidmaster

Shocktart wrote: Oct 2nd '22, 06:13
hypersleep wrote: Oct 1st '22, 03:20 I'll also mention that we rarely cut frames, outside of certain death and firing animations where it was the logical way to suggest sudden movement. For the majority of the animation, we hand keyed every. damn. frame. Exhausting but totally worth it considering you see the animations play on loop for hours.
Are you using your own developer tools? I didn't know there was a program that allowed more than 8 frames for sprites.
I feel like you may have "frames" confused with "angles". We're still limited to 8 angles, and none of the animations have more than that.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
ktaur
Born on Board

Damn, this is gorgeous! Just started playing, and i love Love LOVE it! Very, very well done.

i'll have a lot more to say soon, but i regret to inform you might have a bug. Throwing the following error trying to begin 'Ghost Hardware':

/Users/ghs/Development/alephone/Source_Files/GameWorld/monsters.cpp:317: monster index #-1 is out of range
hypersleep
Born on Board

That's a new one.

Can I suggest – make sure you're using the latest version of A1 (1.5) and you aren't playing Apotheosis with any additional plugins.
Shocktart
Cyborg

Otters on Strings got seriously upgraded.
It's the highest example of "why didn't I think of using the engine like this?" in the entire game.

EDIT: Why I adore Ghost Hardware:
[*]Finding the chips is not the challenge, it's the easiest thing in the world.
[*]The challenge is getting back to the chip insertions and the nature of that challenge is combat.
Compare this campaign map to something like Aye Mak Sicur from Marathon Infinity or any chip-based map from Rubicon or Evil.
Chip hunts suck.

If I were ever to direct a scenario of my own, this would be one of the campaign mapping guidelines.
hypersleep
Born on Board

Glad you liked Ghost Hardware. It's one of a few I'm most proud of, despite not being a particularly flashy level in the scheme of things.

I probably drew that map 10 times over, but the underlying level progression remained the same through each, as I thought it was a winner.
The Man
Vidmaster

hypersleep wrote: Oct 4th '22, 02:06 I probably drew that map 10 times over, but the underlying level progression remained the same through each, as I thought it was a winner.
Can vouch for this. I played an earlier version (you can find a video of it on my channel) that had the exact same level progression. I think hyper remade it like three times after the version I played. I didn't really understand why, apart from the one after he decided to go with the 1 WU-side-length hexes, but the result sure is a banger.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Shocktart
Cyborg

hypersleep wrote: Oct 4th '22, 02:06 Glad you liked Ghost Hardware. It's one of a few I'm most proud of, despite not being a particularly flashy level in the scheme of things.

I probably drew that map 10 times over, but the underlying level progression remained the same through each, as I thought it was a winner.
Flashiness sucks.
I actually like Apotheosis a lot less immediately after Momewraths just like the previous unfinished iteration, I think the difference is that the levels start running a bit too long.
The newer maps start using overlapping architecture (in places where navigation is key) which makes the map screen useless.
hypersleep
Born on Board

If you're tearing your hair out on The Great Fen.... Good :P
Shocktart
Cyborg

hypersleep wrote: Oct 4th '22, 22:28 If you're tearing your hair out on The Great Fen.... Good :P
A hunter teleported in behind me and threw me out a window.
I might not be thinking about the correct level but there is a level where this happens and I think it was intentional.
Dynamo
Born on Board

Are there any plans to create a version of the Alternate HUD that is compatible with Apotheosis X? I know that many people (myself included) prefer to play using that, so just asking. Someone made one for Rubicon X as an example:

https://simplici7y.com/items/hi-res-flo ... -rubicon-x
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Apotheosis is a true masterpiece. I love it. All about it. (but I haven't finished it yet)

Thanks again.

-

Extended thanks to Aleph One developers for making it possible for Marathon to look so good in 2022
The Man
Vidmaster

Dynamo wrote: Oct 18th '22, 17:06 Are there any plans to create a version of the Alternate HUD that is compatible with Apotheosis X? I know that many people (myself included) prefer to play using that, so just asking. Someone made one for Rubicon X as an example:

https://simplici7y.com/items/hi-res-flo ... -rubicon-x
See if this works for your purposes:

http://simplici7y.com/items/basic-hud

Unlike the XBLA HUD, this even shows all your inventory.

Shocktart
Cyborg

How does the dynamic music work in Apotheosis X?
Or in a Marathon game in general?
There were times when I was genuinely impressed with how the music kicked in at key moments, like descending the elevator in Wireless Messiah even though I think it's the worst level in the game overrall.
The Man
Vidmaster

It’s quite simple; it’s just a Lua script that starts or stops the music when a given event happens – usually when a specific platform activates.