whither Traxus? and other changes

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

First, hi again. It's been a long time. Circumstances forced me to take a break, but now my kids are old enough to enjoy shooter games, so I've introduced them to Marathon a little bit. Thought I'd stop in here to see if anyone was still alive and actively working on anything. Very exciting to see just how much activity there is! You guys rock!

Second, what's up with Traxus? I had a 2-year-old PM asking me, but despite being an active editor there (at one point) I had no real insights into the management of it that I can remember.

Third, I had to re-DL scenarios. Is Tempus Irae still available? I didn't look long, but all I could find was hqx files. Not sure those are still valid on the Mac (or any platform) today. Are there any new ones in the past several years worth looking at?

Fourth, anyone care to summarize any other major changes in the Marathon fanscape of the past several years? Any new resource sites? Do we have bridges in A1 yet? An option for "correct" physics? Crouching or jumping? Sniper weapons? [MLaugh]

Fifth, anyone interested in seeing updates to Marapfhont? If there are new scenario/AI logos, I'd be happy to add them. Always wanted to add Merlin…
treellama
Vidmaster

ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Yeah, those six big ones were the first I hit.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

wrt: Traxus, it's currently down, and I don't think sign-ups were ever made available without having to PM someone first. There is/was another wiki (Marathon Beyond?) that mirrored some of its content, but I can't find it.

Fanscape: Well, there's a new build of A1 (no bridges or proper sniper rifles yet, though). There's a couple of scenarios in active development (Chronicles, Marathon 1 Redux, Where Monsters are in Dreams), and I edited the Fighter and Trooper sprites to have more clothes/armour (look for my "Inm. Pfhor Sprites" thread).
welcome to the scene of the crash
The Man
Vidmaster

The version of Tempus you want is probably going to be this one. Should be .zip files.

I'm one of the developers of Chronicles and WMAiD, BTW, so if you have questions on either, I can answer them. I'm planning to push out another release of Chronicles relatively soon, but I'm undertaking the ambitious project of remastering the entire sounds file before I do so, and that's proving quite time-consuming. You can play the current alpha through the link in my signature. WMAiD will hopefully be ready for release sometime next year. I believe a current alpha of M1R is on Simplici7y.com, and if you have other questions about it, ravenshining is the one to ask.

We're also hoping to release a 1.3 version of Eternal next year (as well as a "bug fix" 1.2.1 release sometime towards the end of this one). We'll see how that goes. 1.2.0 was released in March. (I'm also one of the Eternal devs.)
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I just want to say hi and welcome back. Sounds like everyone else has everything else covered already.

Oh actually, speaking of Eternal, a currently-ongoing thing that's about to end is Rampancy.net's Let's Play Eternal 1.2 which should have its final episode (with me and possible some of the codevelopers joining the main hosts) this Friday at 7PM Eastern.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Stopping by again to say hello. Pointed a gamer (and occasional game soundtrack designer) toward Marathon last month. I saw somewhere that Trojan is playable again. WOW.