Secret project coming soon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
L'howon
Vidmaster

[MAngry] No strafing! WELL!

Actually, after watching the trailer, it looks pretty cool. Are you willing to reveal what engine this was built on now?

I just get the feeling I'll be dying a lot. "Strafe damnit STRAFE! Oh wait.."
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
Nitocris
Cyborg

Lh wrote: [MAngry] No strafing! WELL!

Actually, after watching the trailer, it looks pretty cool. Are you willing to reveal what engine this was built on now?

I just get the feeling I'll be dying a lot. "Strafe damnit STRAFE! Oh wait.."
What engine? I'd say none. It's built using the Unity3D environment, though. It's not a mod of anything.

I get the feeling you'll pretty quickly learn the advantages of shooting people in the back.
Slow day.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

CubicCircle wrote:What engine? I'd say none. It's built using the Unity3D environment, though. It's not a mod of anything.
Unity3D is an engine
Nitocris
Cyborg

Johannes Gunnar wrote:Unity3D is an engine
Yeah, I suppose. I thought he wondered if it was a mod of something. Like Rampancy and Resurrection was. Besides the rendering pipeline and coding language, Unity comes empty. I've scripted, programmed if you will, every behavior and solved level making and mechanics myself. There were no templates.
Slow day.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Where in my post did it say anything about a mod?

Irregardless, I was just curious about what you used to create this, because of it's semi-unique look from the rest of a lot of games I've seen.

Also, Unity3D? Like the Unity engine used in some widget-games in OS X?
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Lh wrote:Also, Unity3D? Like the Unity engine used in some widget-games in OS X?
iMarathon
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
Nitocris
Cyborg

Lh wrote:Where in my post did it say anything about a mod?

Irregardless, I was just curious about what you used to create this, because of it's semi-unique look from the rest of a lot of games I've seen.

Also, Unity3D? Like the Unity engine used in some widget-games in OS X?
Well, nowhere. I misunderstood.

That would be Unity. The "look" I came up with myself. I wanted to make something that was different, since Infested was on its way.

Yes. I would think so.
Slow day.
Nitocris
Cyborg

Initial Release Bump?. First post hold new info.
Slow day.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

CubicCircle wrote:Initial Release Bump?. First post hold new info.
You should post the new info in both the first post AND a new post. It would be better that way. I think.

(downloading it now)
(why is Simplici7y so unbelieveable slow!? has it always been like that!?)
Last edited by ukimalefu on Mar 12th '09, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

nice work CubicCircle, but I get a mission accomplished screen as soon as I start a level and it doesn't go away until I click on it which brings me back to the main menu...

btw - what about an icon - do you still have the ones that I sent you last year for the scratchbuilt Marathon game?
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Mar 12th '09, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

ukimalefu wrote:(why is Simplici7y so unbelieveable slow!? has it always been like that!?)
I remember it at about 150kb/s in the beginning. It varies, for me, though. It's bouncing between 5 and 10kb/s for me right now. It's been as fast as 30 or so kb/s a few times in the past few months. I usually have long page loads on the Pfhorums, too.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
Nitocris
Cyborg

thedoctor45 wrote:nice work CubicCircle, but I get a mission accomplished screen as soon as I start a level and it doesn't go away until I click on it which brings me back to the main menu...

btw - what about an icon - do you still have the ones that I sent you last year for the scratchbuilt Marathon game?
That's odd... That's the windows version, right? That happens on every level?

EDIT: I've checked it, and that shouldn't be able to happen. I should do a new build ASAP. I've noticed some other imperfections as well. The third class on God of Dread shouldn't be there, and the IFC rifle is to powerful for a BoB, at least at a cost of 2.
Last edited by Nitocris on Mar 12th '09, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Slow day.
goran
Vidmaster

I downloaded the windows version. Nothing happens when I click on the game icon. Are there any requirements to play this game?
Nitocris
Cyborg

goran wrote:I downloaded the windows version. Nothing happens when I click on the game icon. Are there any requirements to play this game?
Another windows version issue? This is troublesome.
There shouldn't be. Not to my knowledge. What Windows version are you using?
Slow day.
L'howon
Vidmaster

I get the same menu glitch, but only on the last 2 levels. The Bob level doesn't glitch at all. Other than that, everything works fine. However, I dislike the stun lock that happens a lot on the S'pht Kr levels.
CryoS
Vidmaster

hey its windows.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Nitocris
Cyborg

Lh wrote:I get the same menu glitch, but only on the last 2 levels. The Bob level doesn't glitch at all. Other than that, everything works fine. However, I dislike the stun lock that happens a lot on the S'pht Kr levels.
Hmm... Are you on a Windows machine as well? I'll do a new build and upload it. Hang on, it might take a while.

"Tired of having your delicate circuitry overloaded by those pesky Pfhor fighters? Then upgrade your Defender with a Shield System Separation, and you'll never flinch again! Only 6 credits. Shield System Separation may result in delusions of grandeur, rampancy, recklessness and nausea."

EDIT: Did you enjoy that commercial break? Anyhow, I've uploaded a new build of the Windows version. Hope this works for you. If not, report what OS your on, more precisely.
Last edited by Nitocris on Mar 12th '09, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
Slow day.
CryoS
Vidmaster

I must say i enjoy this, i would like to be able to strife...
(terminal popup seemed to look a bit out of place aswell)
other than above i really like this!
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Nitocris
Cyborg

CryoS wrote:I must say i enjoy this, i would like to be able to strife...
(terminal popup seemed to look a bit out of place aswell)
other than above i really like this!
Would you be so kind as to submit a screen shot showing this so I can figure out what the matter is and fix it?

EDIT: I think I know what you mean. This seems to happen when you play on a resolution lower than 1024 x 640. I'd recommend you don't until I can fix it, and then I'd still recommend against it. If it runs slow, and it shouldn't, change the quality settings instead. The change is not as visible as one might think.
Last edited by Nitocris on Mar 12th '09, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Slow day.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

I can't get past the customization screen. No buttons to click, Return/enter don't work, esc does nothing. All I can do is command-q to quit.

Mac mini, 1 GB ram, GMA 950, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS X 10.5.6
Nitocris
Cyborg

ukimalefu wrote:I can't get past the customization screen. No buttons to click, Return/enter don't work, esc does nothing. All I can do is command-q to quit.

Mac mini, 1 GB ram, GMA 950, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS X 10.5.6
That's also odd. Even with the lowest resolution and quality setting, the button should be visible. Can you see the "Next Class" button?

EDIT: I updated the OS X version as well. Now it's the same as the Win version.
Last edited by Nitocris on Mar 12th '09, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Slow day.
goran
Vidmaster

Windows XP.
Nitocris
Cyborg

goran wrote:Windows XP.
OK. And still no luck, even with the .33 version?
I've heard that people are having trouble with the generator room doors on God of Dread. I investigated this. It worked fine last time I checked, but of course, now it didn't. At least not the way intended. It should be possible to get the door open by just flicking the right button and then action keying the door. The left button should have nothing to do with the door, even though it is supposed to open it. Flicking buttons on and off randomly shouldn't be a requirement, and I have made the necessary changes so that it will work as intended come next release.
Last edited by Nitocris on Mar 12th '09, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Slow day.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

CubicCircle wrote:OK. And still no luck, even with the .33 version?
I've heard that people are having trouble with the generator room doors on God of Dread. I investigated this. It worked fine last time I checked, but of course, now it didn't. At least not the way intended. It should be possible to get the door open by just flicking the right button and then action keying the door. The left button should have nothing to do with the door, even though it is supposed to open it. Flicking buttons on and off randomly shouldn't be a requirement, and I have made the necessary changes so that it will work as intended come next release.
I'm running the OSX build (1280x800 "Fantastic Detail") and on the second and third level the mission accomplished screen is displayed instantly.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Mar 12th '09, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Winter_Wolf
Cyborg

Ok, here's my little mini review of Marathon: Freedom 0.33:

I'm using MF 0.33 on the default settings on Mac OS X.

Bugs, Issues and Concerns:

1: The 2nd and 3rd levels display the "Mission Accomplished" screen at the start of the missions and cannot be clicked away.
2: On the main menu screen some of the background text goes off the screen. I really want to read the text!
3: On the main menu, once the mission selection bar pops up it cuts off text on the main screen. I would like a way to exit out of the mission select screen. Also, mission text should not be cut off by the mission select screen.
4: Difficulty. This might be intentional but BoBs die too easily for me to find them fun to play. A Trooper off the screen one shot kills me all the time. I would suggest reducing the gun range for the Trooper.
5: I think S'pht'Kr Defenders should fire less shots but shots that are more powerful. Right now they don't feel like they did in Marathon, they need to fire less but stronger!
6: Enforcers should be given longer range. Right now I find they get slaughtered by S'pht who have amazing range and damage.
7: There are too many weapons for Marines and Bobs! I think that you should only give time period specific weapons for a mission. Marathon 1 missions should only have Marathon 1 weapons while Rubicon levels should have only Rubicon weapons. Makes more sense in my mind.
8: The Marathon level was a little too dark but it was certainly atmospheric. Needs to be a little more light in some corridors.
9: The name. Why is it called Marathon: Freedom? Obviously, its your project and your project name but I feel myself that you could have picked a more appropriate name. Of course, if there is reasoning behind the name I don't know about please tell me!
10: How do I exit out of a level back to the main screen? I could not figure this out...

Things I Liked:

1: The main menu. This is absolutely brilliant. I cannot describe fully just how pleased I was with your main menu. The sounds, the images, the text, it was just awesomely atmospheric.
2: The class system. I love this as well. It offers customization that Marathon has never seen before!
3: Names. This might seem a small thing but your mission names really fit with the atmosphere of the main menu and the game itself.
4: Other scenarios. That fact that weapons for other scenarios have turned up is really exciting. I look forward to playing battles from other Marathon scenarios!
5: The battles. The Pfhor battle level is my favorite! I really enjoyed hunting down those S'pht.
6: The choices. I loved being able to play BoBs, Pfhor or S'pht. Good fun!
7: Terminals: Glad you included them. I think they work well.
8. The M1 Enforcer on the 2nd mission. That dude killed about six S'pht in a single charge. It was quite a sight to watch until he was gunned down.

Questions:

1: How can I (or the entire community for that matter) help you finish this awesome project?
2: Would you be okay with us suggesting battles for you to make missions of?
3: You mentioned a hack that let you play in FPS mode. While the game was not intended to be played this way why not make it an option just for kicks?

Overall Opinion:

This is, in my opinion, the most awesome Marathon project I have seen in a long time. I really, really want this to be a success and will help in any way I can! I find this to be epic. I love Marathon battles. The best of luck to you CubicCircle!
If you would like to help the MaraPiD project, send me a personal message.

Download the Marathon: Pathways into Darkness Beta:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48405034/MPiD_Version_0.5.zip