Marathon: Nova

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

CryoS wrote:*pistol*
That looks great. Keep it up. :-)
Odie
Born on Board

Any update?
$lave

Odie wrote:Any update?
Well, nothing major, but progress *is* being made. I've been completely re-doing the Mars set and working on one map, but it's been hard to texture with the limited textures I have right now. The majority of the texture I have no are grey, with a few beige one's tossed in; a slightly extreme reaction to the comments regarding the colours of the textures for my previous attempt. At the moment I'm trying to come up with some more designs for the textures, as well as incorporate some more red textures (it is mars after all). So, here's a screenshot just to show the overall style of the newer textures.

EDIT: Forgive the crappy resolution, I haven't gotten around to replacing the old mml/hi-res textures yet.
Attachments
Picture_1.png
Picture_1.png (107.1 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
Last edited by $lave on Dec 23rd '08, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Major Pedro
Cyborg

Looks like Xmas/winter. Also don't over do it with the red. Mars is actually more orangey brown.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Looking good. It still looks like Eternal, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and the red circuit texture is too jarring.
Embrace imagination.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

$lave wrote:Well, nothing major, but progress *is* being made. I've been completely re-doing the Mars set and working on one map, but it's been hard to texture with the limited textures I have right now. The majority of the texture I have no are grey, with a few beige one's tossed in; a slightly extreme reaction to the comments regarding the colours of the textures for my previous attempt. At the moment I'm trying to come up with some more designs for the textures, as well as incorporate some more red textures (it is mars after all). So, here's a screenshot just to show the overall style of the newer textures.

EDIT: Forgive the crappy resolution, I haven't gotten around to replacing the old mml/hi-res textures yet.
I love the look of that texture set. The gray scheme with an addition of strong red and some blue are perfect. Texture sets aren't supposed to be "too strong". textures are supposed to blend in a bit. but not scream at you. That's why i loved the looks of Rubicon and Eternal, and that's why I usually hate working with many of the original textures. I find them sometimes way too strong. I see keep up with this style. gray & "dull" textures with couple of strong red/blue for highlights.

keep up the good work.
CryoS
Vidmaster

oooook...
new ER, be amazed.
[attachment=2341:er5.jpg]
[attachment=2342:er5_0002.jpg]
still gona bevel some parts
Attachments
er5_0002.jpg
er5_0002.jpg (54.32 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
er5.jpg
er5.jpg (92.16 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
Last edited by CryoS on Jan 1st '09, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Odie
Born on Board

Pretty! But what is an ER?
infestedsmith
Cyborg

Very nice piece of work CyroS! I like the shining rounded look to it.
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested
Iritscen
Cyborg

Maybe it's just me, but I immediately found myself trying to figure out how to hold that ER. It would be incredibly difficult to balance in one hand... a second hand might be able to fit up front under the ribbed tubing area, but it doesn't seem safe to do so nor easy to grip there, plus, more importantly, you'd need to draw a Marine hand up front there. You could always give it a second grip, and only one would necessarily be visible from the first-person view, but I don't see that there's room for a second grip with the first one poised roughly in the center of the weapon's mass there.

Anyway, I've been tacitly following this project for a while, and it's looking good! My tastes in textures definitely agree with $lave's/Johannes' -- I hate overly busy/colorful textures, but ones with simple bold schemes like in your post of 12/22 are great -- although, that floor texture looks dodgy from that angle. Anyway, the weapon designs are also good, sorry if I harped on the ER too much. It's the first weapon I haven't immediately liked upon seeing it, that's why I spoke up.
CryoS
Vidmaster

there is a grip up front it that is what you were asking...
although i aughta make it a bit less dark so that its visible against the dark backround
Iritscen
Cyborg

Oh wow, you're totally right, it was invisible to me. Sorry! That will do just fine. Heh ^_^;
$lave

Okay, I've been working on a new map (again), so here's a screenshot of it.

I probably won't post anymore screenshots of this map, but it will likely make it into some sort of release (whether it's a demo or the final product).
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

CryoS wrote:new ER, be amazed.
AMAZATION RESULTS.

Seriously, that gun is awesome. I especially like the cold blue glow and the sweeping rounded look of the whole thing.
$lave wrote:Okay, I've been working on a new map (again), so here's a screenshot of it.
Meh. This level wasn't really as striking as the previous one. It looks too boxy and fragmented, and the different textures contrast too strongly with each other. Then again, it looks much more like an oldskool Marathon 2 level than the previous screenshots. [MTongue]
Embrace imagination.
$lave

Been awhile since this topic has been updated, but I figured we'd let you know that this project is, in fact, still alive. There's been a decent amount of progress lately, actually, so here are a few screenshots. I should note that the texture set in those screenshots is not finished, so the textures are somewhat limited and the texturing subsequently is sub-par in areas. It's also an unfinished level, so the architecture will be cleaned up at some point.
Attachments
Picture_9.png
Picture_9.png (430.22 KiB) Viewed 9162 times
Picture_6.png
Picture_6.png (474.35 KiB) Viewed 9164 times
CryoS
Vidmaster

There has also been quite large progress regarding my section (weaponry...)
I have made a new Assault rifle and turned the old one into an SMG. the pistol has been cleaned up
and more:

The SMG (final)

[attachment=2535:OMG_____...some0042.jpg]
ammo
[attachment=2536:frame0034.jpg]
The AR
[attachment=2537:AR0003.jpg]
ammo
[attachment=2538:AR0002.jpg]
random showoff
[attachment=2539:AR0006.jpg]
gawd what a long post...

P.S
Thanks to JohnDoe for the AR design!
Attachments
AR0006.jpg
AR0006.jpg (15.15 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
AR0002.jpg
AR0002.jpg (9.34 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
AR0003.jpg
AR0003.jpg (22.39 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
frame0034.jpg
frame0034.jpg (15.82 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
OMG_________________________how_awesome0042.jpg
OMG_________________________how_awesome0042.jpg (21.97 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
The Thug
Vidmaster

Looking good guys! Nova is really shaping up to be an awesome scenario. Keep up the good work.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

thumbs up
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Looking good! [MUp]
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

when will we see ingame in-hand weapon screenshots? ;)
CryoS
Vidmaster

as soon as lazy Lave Dollar gets the energy to actually put my bitmaps into the shapes...
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

CryoS wrote:as soon as lazy Lave Dollar gets the energy to actually put my bitmaps into the shapes...
A drag and drop method program to shapes making really would be the shnazz.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

MoppyPuppy wrote:A drag and drop method program to shapes making really would be the shnazz.
:C
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

MoppyPuppy wrote:A drag and drop method program to shapes making really would be the shnazz.
http://blingeasy.com/