Marathon Shadow

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Depends on what sort of theme you want. I'd struggle to make you a metal one.
irons
Vidmaster

Does this mean you hate metal and it would be a struggle to create a metal theme, or does it mean you'd struggle/strive/do your best to create a metal theme, because you love that style? My love for the nuances of English demands an answer.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

irons wrote:Does this mean you hate metal and it would be a struggle to create a metal theme, or does it mean you'd struggle/strive/do your best to create a metal theme, because you love that style? My love for the nuances of English demands an answer.
Reminds me of a little misunderstanding we were told about in an International Studies class back in High School. Apparently at some point the US was negotiating with China on some trade agreement or some such, and the Chinese response to the American proposal was something like (translated, of course) "Cooperation between our peoples will present great challenges." The Americans took this to mean "we'll put in the effort to make this work", but apparently what the Chinese meant was "that's hard, we don't want to."
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:Commie pinkos never want to do man's work.
I, as a Singaporean Chinese living in Southeast Asia, react strongly towards that racial slur.

But let's get back on topic. Shadowbreaker, I like that texture in the first screenshot with the 5 stamped on the inset ? nice eye for detail. [MUp]
Embrace imagination.
Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

lol its not really a slur.

chinese people aren't pink, and nowadays they aren't commies.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Aren't we the pink ones?
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

irons wrote:Does this mean you hate metal and it would be a struggle to create a metal theme, or does it mean you'd struggle/strive/do your best to create a metal theme, because you love that style? My love for the nuances of English demands an answer.
I talked to Shadowbreaker about doing music for his scenario before and I remember that he wasn't too keen on my electronic style and wanted a metal soundtrack for it.
irons
Vidmaster

I'm not sure if I'd consider it a racial slur, but if the reader did not realize the ironic undertone, it could sure as hell be insulting. My aim was to imitate the over-the-top anti-communist attitude of Americans during the McCarthy era, a mindset I find simultaneously hilarious and sad. I guess I'll delete it if it was that offensive.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Da Spadger
Born on Board

The textures and the assault rifle sprite look really good but I prefer centered weapon sprites, personally.

Maybe it's just me. :/
The Man
Vidmaster

irons wrote:I'm not sure if I'd consider it a racial slur, but if the reader did not realize the ironic undertone, it could sure as hell be insulting. My aim was to imitate the over-the-top anti-communist attitude of Americans during the McCarthy era, a mindset I find simultaneously hilarious and sad. I guess I'll delete it if it was that offensive.
I got the ironic undertone immediately. I don't think it was particularly offensive.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Pfh wrote:I will at least make an attempt at creating a title theme, though I haven't done this for a while, so don't expect anything amazing. Though I do need to know what you have in mind. If you can just give me a genre, or another scenario you want it to sound like, that would be great. Although, for me, the best way to create one, is for me to play through some of the scenario.
(Old post removed)

The gameplay hardly suggests anything about the story or what I want the music to sound like at the moment, and plus my connection sucks to hard for me to send anything larger than a few textures to anyone. You are welcome to attempt to make me something, however I have asked about 5 people to make me music so far, and they either didn't or I rejected it.

What I am looking for is something not composed entirely of garageband loops with a sort of dark theme to it. I can't really say much more.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Aug 12th '08, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:I'm not sure if I'd consider it a racial slur, but if the reader did not realize the ironic undertone, it could sure as hell be insulting. My aim was to imitate the over-the-top anti-communist attitude of Americans during the McCarthy era, a mindset I find simultaneously hilarious and sad. I guess I'll delete it if it was that offensive.
I wasn't offended. Looks like nobody realized my ironic undertone...

Who cares, let's just talk about Marathon Shadow. This is embarrassing for everyone.

To Shadowbreaker: Try the completely free and royalty-free Newgrounds Audio Portal. There's a bit of offensive stuff, but it's not hard to get along. Just browsing around should net you something nice. I recommend Waterflame's and Helix6's stuff if you want that kind of music, search for them. You only need to give them credit and you're all set.
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Aug 12th '08, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.
irons
Vidmaster

WELL!
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

WELL! I decided to post up a few more textures, old and new. I'm proud to have also come up with a new sort of texturing strategy that came to me when looking over some of Rubicon's shapes. Basically, I just make a whole bunch of different sized rectangles from a base texture and put different layer styles on them. It sounds a bit sloppy, but I quite liked the results. (not all of the following used this new technique :P)

[attachment=1951:34.jpg]

[attachment=1952:pimplights_copy.jpg]
I call them... pimplights! Drictelt didn't quite like one of m2's light textures and suggested this design to me.

[attachment=1953:layertastic2_copy.jpg]

[attachment=1954:27.jpg]

[attachment=1955:layertastic_copy.jpg]
This is what anyone who sees my psd might call Layertastic!

[attachment=1956:layertas...oor_copy.jpg]

[attachment=1957:x.jpg]

Once more, an unfortunate amount of quality was lost due to turning these to slow connection friendly jpegs. The png's look a bit better.
Attachments
x.jpg
x.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 9386 times
layertasticdoor_copy.jpg
layertasticdoor_copy.jpg (77.6 KiB) Viewed 9387 times
layertastic_copy.jpg
layertastic_copy.jpg (88.67 KiB) Viewed 9385 times
27.jpg
27.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 9384 times
layertastic2_copy.jpg
layertastic2_copy.jpg (75.22 KiB) Viewed 9385 times
pimplights_copy.jpg
pimplights_copy.jpg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 9387 times
34.jpg
34.jpg (87.39 KiB) Viewed 9385 times
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Nice, but two remarks:
mostly on texture 1: Why don't you just listen to me and at least offset your patterns a bit so that they dont continue from one surface to another? It would increase your texture's quality with at least 50 %
on texture 2: this one seems a bit plain to my personal taste... I'd suggest making the greenish blue triangles a bit darker and deeper.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Drictelt wrote:Nice, but two remarks:
mostly on texture 1: Why don't you just listen to me and at least offset your patterns a bit so that they dont continue from one surface to another? It would increase your texture's quality with at least 50 %
on texture 2: this one seems a bit plain to my personal taste... I'd suggest making the greenish blue triangles a bit darker and deeper.
The first might be a bit difficult to fix, but I'll try. struggle. :P

The second I added some nice blue accents to the triangles and deepened them. It looks a lot nicer now. I'll work on a few more lava textures like this (upgrading them from 128x128), just so I can see them in your map once you are done. Name any extra crappy one and I'll fix it right away :P (with layertastic ACTION)
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Aug 29th '08, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
infestedsmith
Cyborg

Man! Looks pretty blasted good! I love seeing my weapons in-game like that. :D
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested
assassingao
Vidmaster

Oh my, a couple of years and it's still here.

Good job shadowbreaker.
Major Pedro
Cyborg

mmm... textures... I just gained so much respect for you. Also I like the gun, but parts of it look like plastic rather than metal.
Last edited by Major Pedro on Sep 15th '08, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Thank you all for the comments, suggestions, and help, especially to irons for proofreading my intro screen, Treellama for helping me with my explosions and infestedsmith for offering to polish up the guns he gave me a bit :P. I'll end up redoing the whole intro because I kinda forgot to save my psd. Hopefully I'll be able to post some screenshots with weapons other than the assault rifle soon. The maps and textures are pretty much growing on trees right now, and we're in good shape again after a 3 month hiatus.

The only bad news really that I've got is that I can't really work on the super important new monster that appears everywhere at the moment, and the colors I chose aren't helping much either. It'll be a while before you see it. However, if you add me on facebook you can see a drawing of it in one of my albums :P
Major Pedro
Cyborg

Legendary.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Well... it is the oldest living topic on the board.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Wow, this board is pretty young then.

Also, "THEY'REEEE HERRREEE....."
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

More screenies

[attachment=2768:shadow1.jpg]
[attachment=2769:shadow2.jpg]
[attachment=2770:shadow3.jpg]
[attachment=2771:shadow4.jpg]
[attachment=2772:shadow5.jpg]

I was going to take a picture of the 6th (!) set, but that's kinda hard to do right now.
Obviously the stuff you see here is still in the works, and if you're keen you can see some high res parts that are either incomplete or from other scenarios :) (place takers).

I think the new weapons and monsters will come last in the making, since they are the hardest. I'm more interested in making the scenario first :)
Attachments
shadow5.jpg
shadow5.jpg (48.73 KiB) Viewed 9393 times
shadow4.jpg
shadow4.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 9392 times
shadow3.jpg
shadow3.jpg (38.18 KiB) Viewed 9392 times
shadow2.jpg
shadow2.jpg (46.47 KiB) Viewed 9393 times
shadow1.jpg
shadow1.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 9398 times
Lawstiker
Cyborg

Not to often you see purple textures.

Got to say this looks really cool and I love the gun design, is there a specific name for the gun yet?

Good luck working on Shadow.