Marathon: Enemi

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

It all started with W'rkncacnter's topic Hey Dudes, which I'm sure everyone's familiar with by now. In it, Wrk, masquerading as a new member of the Pfhorums, proclaimed that he was working on a joke scenario called Marathon: Enemi. People started gathering to post sloppily created sprites and atrocious content, allegedly to help out with Enemi, but nothing ever came of it.

Fast forward 3 weeks, in Major Pedro's Marathon: Fusion topic:
Johannes Gunnar wrote:Last time I heard there's help wanted with Marathon Enemi
chinkeeyong wrote:I already helped a lot with that, but the only active mapper, Drictelt, quit because they complained that the textures were made after they had completed my maps. Thus it's temporarily on hold until Wrk comes back and ties everything back together.
W wrote:Why would I do that. I'm waiting for someone else to put it together so I can release it. That's why I'm the project leader.
chinkeeyong wrote:OK then, in that case, make a new topic, move all of the contributions (such as textures, music, screens, monsters) in there, and wait for people to show up, and we can stop cluttering Major Pedro's topic with your stuff.
He never responded, so I thought, Here goes nothing, and created a centralized topic for Marathon: Enemi. I've already patched together a simple unimap file comprising submissions from the old Hey Dudes topic. If you're bored one day and feel like helping out, this is your chance! Think of it as a community exercise. We'll make it fit together somehow. [MGrin]

Marathon: Enemi v0.01 (WARNING: 21.2 MB)
Comprises:
- W'rkcacnter's title and menu screens, modified to fit into the 640x386 rectangle
- Mordekai's music for Enemi
- The textures I made
- Shadowbreaker's circular drone, with extra sprites created by me
- "Polygons" by Drictelt and "Where's cranky boss dude?" by $lave, retextured with my textures

Wanted:
Some miscellaneous sprites horrible enough to go with Shadowbreaker's sprites, such as drone bolts for the circular drone.
Implementation of all the other monsters Shadowbreaker made, creating new sprites as needed.
Implementation of the current weapon ideas
Mappers
Terminal text writers (preferably Wrk or someone who can emulate how he told the story)
Credits screen designers (again, preferably Wrk but if you can make your credits look like his menu it'll be accepted)
Ideas for more monsters and weapons

Wheeee!
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Aug 21st '08, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

chinkeeyong wrote:Marathon: Enemi v0.01 (WARNING: 21.2 MB)
Warning? If you have a 15mb download limit?
Kidtofu
Cyborg

Fail.
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!
Marathoner325
Cyborg

I just finished downloading this. Glad to see you're making progress. [MSmile]

Edit: EPIC FAIL
Last edited by Marathoner325 on Aug 21st '08, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

Tommy-TBone wrote:Warning? If you have a 15mb download limit?
some people are still on 56k thanks to the f*cking ISP's not getting off their arses to provide a proper internet connection in rural places.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

chinkeeyong wrote:- Shadowbreaker's circular drone, with extra sprites created by me
wtf i posted like 8 monsters, i didnt post all of there bmps cuz llo u shoulda seen tehm thye were PNW
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Tommy-TBone wrote:Warning? If you have a 15mb download limit?
Wait, there's a download limit?

EPIC FAIL ON MY PART.

Darn, I dunno what to do now. Delete the topic I guess? I think I'll wait for feedback from Wrk. Until then, I'll work to make something ACTUALLY playable...
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Aug 22nd '08, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.
DeepThought
Cyborg

What the fuck are you guys talking about? I can download it perfectly fine.

QUOTE(Alan)So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
megabyte
Vidmaster

I think he means his isp has a download limit.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
The Man
Vidmaster

I got the impression Tommy-TBone was just saying he couldn't understand why anyone would need a warning about a 21MB file unless their ISP had a download limit.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Well done! It only took 8 posts of discussion for people to realise that I was taking the piss.
The Man
Vidmaster

I actually realised you were taking the piss immediately, I just don't think anyone else did D;
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

I've implemented Shadowbreaker's Stalker. Just keeping you guys in touch.

---

EDIT: Apparently I work really fast. My Shotgun Pistol has been implemented, complete with snazzy MML'd interface display. It's really fun to use.

By the way, what would you like the Shotgun Pistol to be called in-game? My current working title is the "Range Shootgun".
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Aug 25th '08, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

You better save some room for the MISSILE SHOTGUN I haven't sent you yet.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shadowbreaker wrote:You better save some room for the MISSILE SHOTGUN I haven't sent you yet.
...Missile...Shotgun...? [spnkr]

Bad news: Due to royal screw-ups with my shapes file, progress on Enemi will be temporarily halted while I move all of my latest work to a backup copy, because I have encountered THE FRAME NUMBERING BUG. Damn Anvil.
Embrace imagination.
treellama
Vidmaster

chinkeeyong wrote:...Missile...Shotgun...? [spnkr]

Bad news: Due to royal screw-ups with my shapes file, progress on Enemi will be temporarily halted while I move all of my latest work to a backup copy, because I have encountered THE FRAME NUMBERING BUG. Damn Anvil.
Dude?

http://sf.net/projects/shapefusion

Seriously.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Dude?

Seriously.
While useful for arranging frames and removing unnecessary frames, bitmaps, sequences or color tables, ShapeFusion irrevocably corrupts my Interface collection, although it's still usable by A1, and if I try to edit the collection with Anvil (which is vastly superior in terms of user-friendly GUI), ShapeFusion refuses to open the file. After a particularly nasty mess after I poked a couple ShapeFusion-edited sequences with Anvil, I refuse to use ShapeFusion until I finish a gold build of Enemi.
Embrace imagination.
treellama
Vidmaster

chinkeeyong wrote:(which is vastly superior in terms of user-friendly GUI)
You have got to be kidding me.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Oh no, the CLIQUE is telling us what we have to do again
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
irons
Vidmaster

Busted, Treellama. Just don't reply to these threads: they only cause your CLIQUE rep to go down.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Dude?

Seriously.
Surely his CLIQUE rep went up with this post.
dude, seriously. dude.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Just sent you the MISSILE SHOTGUN among other things. I hope you are happy.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:You have got to be kidding me.
ROFL, what I meant was that you can actually copy and paste in Anvil, which is my preferred method of editing. AFAIK in SF, you can't overwrite the data already in a bitmap, so the only way is to delete the bitmap and insert one from an external file.
Shadowbreaker wrote:Just sent you the MISSILE SHOTGUN among other things. I hope you are happy.
I am happy [MUp]

Seriously, I don't know how I can fix up Marathon: Enemi all by myself. Come on, I've only ever done like 5 maps, 3 were such failures that I never released them, 1 is buggy and I've been posting it on the Pfhorums in the hope that someone can help, 1 was posted on Simplici7y and later received enough highly negative feedback that I took it down. I'm not even awe-inspiring like Wrk to be able to get people to do stuff for me (even SB's sprites were actually originally for Shadow but were scrapped). I don't think I can finish this.
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Aug 26th '08, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Why does it matter if it is finished or not? It's not supposed to be a very high quality piece of work, the last time I checked.