Craziest game ever

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Honestly, I'm not too excited about this. It seems like one of those very disposable mods with very little replayability. This is my initial feeling towards this mod. I think that most people will play a few levels, have some laughs here and there, and promptly get bored of it.

We know you can model, thats great. You do realize that you gotta come up with brilliant, refreshing maps as well. Keep the surprise factor up... I find that it is one of the main reasons people play a game for a long time. If you're going to donate a chunk of you life into making this mod, keep the quality up in every aspect. Don't bomb it man.
Last edited by Longinus on May 9th '08, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
john_brine
Cyborg

Interesting idea, but....much like green tea ice cream, it'll take lots of work to make it come out right...maybe you could add in the General from Rise of the Triad, y'know the one who says "I'll bury you in a lunchbox" maybe even some pigcops from Duke

J B
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

coffee wrote:pigcops from Duke
J B
Those would def fit. I was thinking of those when I saw your sprites.
Can't speel for hist.
megabyte
Vidmaster

As a fan of all three games i would be very interested to see the outcome.
Great work so far!
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
DeepThought
Cyborg

Well, I just wanted to bump this topic by saying that this project is still alive, although sort of reached a temporary hiatus. I have kind of been working on some other things, including a Marathon mod that I may or may not reveal in the near future. However, I am still doing work on this, mainly in the graphics department.

I think it would be cool if a few of the members of this community would lend a hand in the development of this project. Particularly, I am looking for mappers, although someone who could do lua would be nice as well. I am not begging for help or anything, but for this project to reach it's full ambitions, I think I am going to need help with the maps, because I plan on having quite a few. However, if you want to help in other ways besides the two I mentioned above, feel free to contact me and I will decide myself. If you do make maps, I will provide a list of the levels that will be included and you can pick one. Once that happens, I will send more information on that particular level.

I wish I had some screenshots of the completed levels but they are on another computer. However, I will probably post them later today.

QUOTE(Alan)So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
DeepThought
Cyborg

As I promised, here are some screens:

This is two from one Marathon themed level. This level is basicly complete, except for some final touches for more detail.

[attachment=1827:1.png]
[attachment=1828:2.png]

The next two is from a Marathon themed level that I am working on. In the first screenshot, the lack of diffreintial shading is due to the fact that the level is incomplete.

[attachment=1829:3.png]
[attachment=1830:pluoop.png]
Attachments
pluoop.png
pluoop.png (10.5 KiB) Viewed 4293 times
3.png
3.png (909.38 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
2.png
2.png (873.55 KiB) Viewed 4294 times
1.png
1.png (671.9 KiB) Viewed 4299 times

QUOTE(Alan)So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
Winter_Wolf
Cyborg

They look good DeepThought!

From your description of "Marathon theme" I'm guessing you'll have Doom and Duke Nukem theme levels as well?

And how are the sprites coming along? Want to give us a sneak peak of one of your monsters that's in game? (providing any are in game).
If you would like to help the MaraPiD project, send me a personal message.

Download the Marathon: Pathways into Darkness Beta:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48405034/MPiD_Version_0.5.zip
megabyte
Vidmaster

it looks good
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
DeepThought
Cyborg

Winter_Wolf wrote:From your description of "Marathon theme" I'm guessing you'll have Doom and Duke Nukem theme levels as well?

And how are the sprites coming along? Want to give us a sneak peak of one of your monsters that's in game? (providing any are in game).
Yes, all levels is going to predominately feature one texture and scenery set, so there are going to be an equal amount of doom/duke/marathon themed levels. If one wants to make maps for this then they can choose any game-base. I think the exact amount for each is 14 (don't quote me on that though), but can be lowered depending on how much people help out.

There are a small amount that are actually in-game, but they are monsters that I do not want to reveal yet. Most of the monsters are only done in the front and 3/4 view so far.
Last edited by DeepThought on Jul 31st '08, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

How could you possibly not use the monsters from Pathways into Darkness?
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Volcanon wrote:How could you possibly not use the monsters from Pathways into Darkness?
Very easily.
I3loodTeeth
Born on Board

dahahahaha thats a hillarious little plan u have there mate. Imho, dont ask these people what they think and ideas on direction, you are doing it for fun and you already have an idea and a direction to go with this, so don't change it to suit everyone here, just do it! Do it and watch people use the mod in good fun. Oh and btw, how can you not use the sprites from pathways? I realize that they might need some touching up and anti aliasing before using to stop the max pixellation attack but dude... there are some funky ass aliens and stuff in there :) HEADLESS DUKE!

I3loodTeeth
Last edited by I3loodTeeth on Aug 16th '08, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.