Kill Them All, Volume IV

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

ditto
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

It would be a bizarre thing, a KTA without a screamingfool map.
nonstab
Born on Board

I might try my hand at making a map. I'm preposterously lazy, however, so I'm not sure if anything will become of this claim.
http://electricsheep.org/ Wicked Custom Screen Saver. It actually evolves over time, thanks to some internet-y crap.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is The Final Sacrifice. Rowsdower! It's probably going to be the ending map for KTA4 because, although it isn't tremendously long and doesn't have massive battles, it's still pretty damn hard.

I've received a few maps through email, and this brings the total to 15.
Attachments
The_Final_Sacrifice.zip
(17.23 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I see why this map is so hard... >.>
Theres only a single 2x powerup! It took me a couple of tries before I completed this one.

I knew those holes in the floor weren't good...
nonstab
Born on Board

Turma wrote:I might try my hand at making a map. I'm preposterously lazy, however, so I'm not sure if anything will become of this claim.
Currently working on a map called "Ascension" (There hasn't been a map called that before, has there?). It's not far along enough for pics, but it'll be done by the 31st, sunday at the earliest.
http://electricsheep.org/ Wicked Custom Screen Saver. It actually evolves over time, thanks to some internet-y crap.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Turma wrote:Currently working on a map called "Ascension" (There hasn't been a map called that before, has there?).
I don't believe there is a Marathon map with that name yet. It was, however, the name of a Pathways into Darkness level. I think you can get away with it, though. :)
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
mchief111
Born on Board

Turma wrote:Currently working on a map called "Ascension" (There hasn't been a map called that before, has there?). It's not far along enough for pics, but it'll be done by the 31st, sunday at the earliest.
*sniffle* I suppose my Halo Reach Forge map doesn't count :(
Da Pissa
Born on Board

I'm definitely looking forward to this. Kill Them All III: The Complete Masterworks is one of my all-time favorite map packs. It's brutal, challenging, ridiculously fun, and even atmospheric at some points. And believe me, if I had a reliable OSX-compatible editor, you can be that I'd be submitting at least one map for this (maybe I'm out of the loop, but the last I checked there's only Pfhorte for OSX).
Last edited by Da Pissa on Mar 24th '12, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
interion
Cyborg

Da Pissa wrote:I'm definitely looking forward to this. Kill Them All III: The Complete Masterworks is one of my all-time favorite map packs. It's brutal, challenging, ridiculously fun, and even atmospheric at some points. And believe me, if I had a reliable OSX-compatible editor, you can be that I'd be submitting at least one map for this (maybe I'm out of the loop, but the last I checked there's only Pfhorte for OSX).
That's right. Don't bother looking any deeper. You're welcome (everyone).
Image Image
L'howon
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:pretty damn hard.
My skills must be lacking, because this is a meat grinder. The only other level I can think of that's stymied me this much was Hunters Must Howl from KTA III, though in that case that was from some incredibly awkward/compact level layout and only having shotguns and 1x cans.

I guess it's just a matter of being super cautious/ figuring out the best way to keep as much health as possible for as long as possible. Which strikes me as incredibly tedious, but that's just me.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Well there aren't any ways to cheese the fights, really, but there's always plenty of space to just circle-strafe around everyone, which is usually enough. The only really nasty fights are the Trooper fight right at the beginning, which is... well, right at the beginning, and the second Juggernaut, which is tricky only if you let it box you into the room with the chip. Just keep moving and don't let yourself get boxed in, and you can clear a lot of the fights without taking any damage at all.
Da Pissa
Born on Board

Tim wrote:That's right. Don't bother looking any deeper. You're welcome (everyone).
It's not like I last checked a long time ago. If there's a new option, I'd like to see it -- maybe I just looked for it in the wrong places.

Weeaboo.
Last edited by Da Pissa on Mar 24th '12, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

Da Pissa wrote:It's not like I last checked a long time ago. If there's a new option, I'd like to see it -- maybe I just looked for it in the wrong places.

Weeaboo.
Weland works with Mac OSX, I think. There is Forge, also. Recommended editors are here.
Last edited by brilliant on Mar 24th '12, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
"My advise: V" - g pack
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Weland does work in OSX, but it needs mono to run.
Da Pissa
Born on Board

Thanks, I'll check it out. And of course I already knew about Forge. [MGrin]
L'howon
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Well there aren't any ways to cheese the fights, really, but there's always plenty of space to just circle-strafe around everyone, which is usually enough. The only really nasty fights are the Trooper fight right at the beginning, which is... well, right at the beginning, and the second Juggernaut, which is tricky only if you let it box you into the room with the chip. Just keep moving and don't let yourself get boxed in, and you can clear a lot of the fights without taking any damage at all.
Yeah, just turns out I was really tired. Took me a few more attempts but once I figured out how to screw with the troopers at the beginning it was just a matter of repetition. Fun, and hard.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Atta boy.

One week left for submissions. Anyone who's still working on maps, it's time to start finishing them up.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

Alrighty, I've done my map. And the polygon count is... exactly 100!
Somebody test this out and tell me if it's KTA worthy.

[attachment=5590:mafia.zip]
Attachments
mafia.zip
(10.86 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
L'howon
Vidmaster

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Alrighty, I've done my map. And the polygon count is... exactly 100!
Somebody test this out and tell me if it's KTA worthy.
That was... okay? I'm sort of ambivalent.

It felt really cramped, much more than usual KTA fare. Mostly because you relied a lot on sharp turns and way too much scenery. That first room would've been a sight better had it actually been navigable without some errant piece of scenery catching me. As it was, two quick runs was all it took before I figured out how to eliminate the troopers with a well placed grenade that then made them suicide on the scenery. Another run because having a tight stairwell that runs smack into 2 more troopers and then another 3 teleporting in is suicide on TC. Again, a quick grenade solves everything as you can just lure them one by one into the door/choke point at the top of the stairs.

I guess (and this is me personally, the wide variety of KTA maps should tell you that the idea can be approached in a number of ways) my ideal map is something like Emerald City Citizens, with perhaps slightly less larger polys and ammo. The entire level unfolds fairly seamlessly, with each successive wave getting larger and more deadly than the last, but never to the point that it interrupts the flow. You're pretty much constantly moving and firing bullets because if you don't, you're going to get wasted by 30 hunters and several homing bolts that follow you around the entire time. Another good example is Johannes G's As Embers Dress the Sky - lots of enemies, a decent amount of ammo, and room to breathe but not enough to make it easy. Compare that to something like Guns of Avalon from KTA3, which is a constant barrage of tight corridors, limited ammo, and traps. You could do it in one run - but without having played it several times over, you'd constantly get whacked in the back by some cyborg, defender, whatever. Something like the Final Sacrifice is actually a good balance between the two - you're going to die a lot, and ammo's limited but rarely to the point that you run out.

Or maybe I'm just over thinking this and should hold down the trigger more/stop worrying.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Much of what I would have said about this map, Lh'owon already said. Tight corners and cheap monster spawns led to several immediate deaths.
nonstab
Born on Board

This is my contribution: a smallish map, known only as Ascent.

For whatever reason, any screenshots I take of this map are horribly corrupted, so no pics.
Attachments
Ascent.zip
(11.55 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The map's ok. The fights are pretty easy, but that's ok.

However, you have two things you need to address:
1. You use this texture as a wall texture. It is not a wall texture, it's a fence texture. Don't put it on walls or you can get visual smearing with some graphical settings.

2. DIFFERENTIAL SHADING
nonstab
Born on Board

RyokoTK wrote:The map's ok. The fights are pretty easy, but that's ok.

However, you have two things you need to address:
1. You use this texture as a wall texture. It is not a wall texture, it's a fence texture. Don't put it on walls or you can get visual smearing with some graphical settings.

2. DIFFERENTIAL SHADING
Ok, wasn't aware of the whole "fence" thing, as well as the shading. I'll look into it.
nonstab
Born on Board

How's this? It's the best I can do with out partially rebuilding the map, since it was designed with a low polygon count in mind, as opposed to ascetics.
Attachments
Ascent.zip
(11.68 KiB) Downloaded 217 times