Projects guidelines

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Omg what happened to all of the posts?!

I've done a bit of... autumn cleaning. Any topics that died before September were deleted. Furthermore, any topics that didn't pertain to topicality rules (below) were moved or deleted.

I'm going to introduce a slight topicality guideline. Most of the posts made on this board were following the general rule before, and any active topics are still left on the board. It's just that... well, the board needed a clean-up, and it needs a bit of order.

Topicality

The Projects board is about the status of Marathon-related projects.

First, what is a project?
1. A project is a major/total conversion for Marathon/Aleph One, or a Marathon port to another engine (Doom to Marathon or Marathon to Doom, but not Doom to Unreal).
2. It can also be an Infinity single-player scenario, i.e. Siege of Nor'Korh or Gemini Station.
3. It can also be about netpacks as a whole.
4. It could be something that amplifies Aleph One, i.e. enhanced textures, music, etc.
5. Undertakings for new shapes, physics, lua/mml, or something along that line.
6. Films about Marathon (in-game clip montages, especially)

A project is not:
1. A single map you're working on. Those belong in Mapping.
2. Something not related to Aleph One or Marathon at all.

So, topicality on the Projects board. Good topics are topics about the current status of a project in progress. These include:
1. Topics made by the project leader announcing the current progress of his project.
2. Topics by someone else asking about the progress of a project.
3. Topics announcing the completion or discontinuation of a project.
4. Any other topic asking for input from the leader to the board about a project.

Bad topics are:
1. Topics discussing completed scenarios. These belong (most likely) in Marathon Story.
2. Something not about a project.
3. Discussion on mapping styles, mapping guidelines, quality, etc. These belong in mapping.
4. Topics intending to flame or troll (i.e. "your scenario sux"); they will be deleted and the poster warned.
5. Anything else that does not follow topicality.

---

I know it sounds strict, but it really isn't. As I said, most topics follow these guidelines as it is. Topics that go off-topic as they age will be tolerated to a certain extent; flame wars in a topic will be deleted and the combatants will probably be warned. There's a place for flame wars, and this board isn't it. Try to keep topics on-track. If they do go off-topic, as long as they're civil, they'll remain in place.

Thanks! Any questions can go here.
Tabris

RyokoTK wrote:Omg what happened to all of the posts?!

First, what is a project?
1. A project is a major/total conversion for Marathon/Aleph One, or a Marathon port to another engine (Doom to Marathon or Marathon to Doom, but not Doom to Unreal).
2. It can also be an Infinity single-player scenario, i.e. Siege of Nor'Korh or Gemini Station.
3. It can also be about netpacks as a whole.
4. It could be something that amplifies Aleph One, i.e. enhanced textures, music, etc.
5. Undertakings for new shapes, physics, lua/mml, or something along that line.
6. Films about Marathon (in-game clip montages, especially)
Does a novel of/about Marathon count as a project? I'm still waiting for my topic to be approved.
$lave

Tabris wrote:Does a novel of/about Marathon count as a project? I'm still waiting for my topic to be approved.
I would consider it a project, yes. Where is your topic? I've searched, but haven't been able to find any other posts by you. Regardless, you should be able to post freely now, sorry for the wait.