M2 Groove Session III

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Third time's the charm. It's time for MGSIII. This contest is similar to the first 2 contests, but again, I'll repost the rules.

RULES:

1) Just like MGSI and MGSII, there are 3 songs to be composed. These songs will correspond with the next 3 levels of Marathon 2. They are called, Ex Cathedra, Nuke And Pave, and Curiouser and Curiouser.... These levels make up the chapter Garrison, and that is what the resulting album will be called.
2) Each song must have a reasonable song length. I would consider 10 seconds or 10 minutes a bit outside this reasonable range. Try to keep the songs from 2 min to 5 min. I'm flexible so going outside those boundaries a little bit won't lose you any points. Cutting a song down to around 1 min though may lose you a point in the "Length" category.
3) These submissions are songs for Marathon levels. Please don't include a full chorus or obnoxious singing in any of your submissions. A little bit, and I mean a very small amount of singing or background chorus is ok, but don't go overboard.
4) Deadline: All songs must be sent to me at thethug47@gmail.com by August 31st. That's over a month to make 3 songs.
5) Don't name your songs after the levels. Come up with creative names!

Your entries will be judged on the following material:
1) Interpretation of the Level: Does your song complement the level provided? Does it help set the atmosphere of the level and contribute to the gameplay? A bad example would be to play "Happy Birthday" during a war scene, while a good example might be to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" during a scene where a little kid is pondering the universe. 20 points
2) Musicality: How well the tempo, rhythm, notes, etc fit together. It shouldn't sound like a 6th grader randomly hitting stuff or pressing down keys on his first instrument. 20 points
3) Creativity: This is your music so make it unique. I understand that many background parts repeat over and over, but don't create a whole song where the majority of the melody is the same eight notes played repeatedly. Jazz it up and make it enjoyable and fun to listen to, while still staying within the other requirements. 10 points
4) Sound Quality: If it sounds like trash or is poor quality, you will obviously lose points here. I'm looking for clean, high quality music with no white noise, unless the white noise is intended. 10 points
5) Originality: Remixes sound great and all, but the point of this contest is too create something NEW that complements the given level. Remixing M1A1 music or any other music will cause you lose points here and probably in a few other sections of the judging scale. 5 points
6) Length: If the song length is too long or short, points will be lost. The song should be long enough to show effort, but short enough to be precise. 5 points

TOTAL: 70 points/song. Each participant will be judged out of a total of 210 points because there are 3 songs.

As usual, the song that receives the highest score for a level will be included in the final M2 Soundtrack. I'm looking forward to a good turnout and some great songs! Enjoy making music.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

What took you so long? I finished those long ago. [MTongue]

::edit::

SENT!

I hope more people enter this time.
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jul 21st '09, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
CryoS
Vidmaster

hopefully i can find the time to cook something together, we'll see
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
SynthNinja
Cyborg

Sweet. I'll give it a try.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

hehe, ill try
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

I was a dumbass and started these songs a couple days ago. I'm finishing up the 2nd song now. Is it okay if I send it late, if I'm not done in time? I have school starting up next week, so I don't know how much computer time I'll have.
D?rovací tvá?í.
The Thug
Vidmaster

I'd rather you send me your songs before the deadline. It's there for a reason [MSmile] If you can't finish all your songs, just send me the ones you have completed. Any amount of participation is appreciated!

Speaking of deadlines, there is only 1 week left before September. Finish that music!
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Sent. Don't expect much. I mean, they are Midis after all. And kinda short...
D?rovací tvá?í.
SynthNinja
Cyborg

Due to a full schedule I was only able to complete one piece. I started a few others though. Anyway, consider it sent.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

how is judging goin? i know you also have to work on your map roulette
D?rovací tvá?í.
The Thug
Vidmaster

M2 Groove Session III ended a few days ago. I'll post the results within a week or two from now.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

almost done?
D?rovací tvá?í.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Yes, I'll have the results up within a week from today.
SynthNinja
Cyborg

Stagnation has occurred in my creativity, resulting in... one completed piece. Unless you want a loop.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

The suspense is killing me.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Dugit
Vidmaster

I'm already paralyzed from the suspense.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I will partake when i get my system updated soon in the next one. (is there another chapter?) with 10.5 ill get garageband 09, and ill want to use it. (=
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:I will partake when i get my system updated soon in the next one. (is there another chapter?) with 10.5 ill get garageband 09, and ill want to use it. (=
There will most likely be one for every M2 Chapter.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Time must have stood still. It can't have been September 25th for this long, can it? Were the Jjarro at the Pfhorums?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:Time must have stood still. It can't have been September 25th for this long, can it? Were the Jjarro at the Pfhorums?
He said he finished, he just needed to verify with everyone which song went with which level. I'd think that'd be done by now.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Dugit
Vidmaster

*tumbleweed*

*cough*

Last edited by Dugit on Oct 19th '09, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

*AHEM*
D?rovací tvá?í.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Keep your pants on, I'm almost done. Patience young grasshoppers.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

*impatient* *ahhem*
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Thug... almost was over a week ago. When will it be done?
D?rovací tvá?í.