7/7/07 Aleph One Real Life Gathering

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

That's right, the one, the only, "official" (I guess) Aleph One 7/7/07 gathering!

On Saturday, July 7th, 2007, the definitive Aleph One Real Life Gathering will occur in Oakland, California, for the whole day.
I'll post a lengthy description of the event in mid-March, but for now, you can drool over these details:

It will have at least one projector.
It will be integrated with RyokoTK's July Mapmaking contest.
Some lodging will be available, to make it more possible for people to attend.
A few notable names in the A1 community are already planning on attending.
And other exciting things in bold will be announced later!

This is worthing taking a plane flight out for. Your socks will be rocked.
Save the date, look into transportation, start saving your money and figuring out what to do about your computer (the possibility of equipment shares may be discussed closer to the event). Feel free to ask any questions in replies here, or by e-mailing me at kineticturtle@gmail.com.

Hope to see you there...
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Ok Im not going to post anything about magic carpets (here at least), but Im serious about the vid chat thing over AIM for thoseo f us who hve cameras but not plane tickets.
Switch
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:Ok Im not going to post anything about magic carpets (here at least), but Im serious about the vid chat thing over AIM for thoseo f us who hve cameras but not plane tickets.
I think this sounds like a great Idea. If I can make it ( It's 5 months off, but I'll try ) I'll bring a few computers to iChat and Skype on and pick up as many marathoners as I can on the way. Oakland sounds like the best place to do it, with all the bay area players.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

appleswitch wrote:I think this sounds like a great Idea. If I can make it ( It's 5 months off, but I'll try ) I'll bring a few computers to iChat and Skype on and pick up as many marathoners as I can on the way. Oakland sounds like the best place to do it, with all the bay area players.
I'm not yet sure how I feel about this iChat and Skype thing. Part of the idea is to get some people together and play some truly lag free A1, but we'll see what the bandwidth is like at the house I'll be hosting this at. I'm moving in this coming month, and we'll be trying to get the best internet connection we can get.

If you're willing to bring multiple computers, appleswitch, those machines might be put to better use supplying machines to people who can't bring their own. =)
Zott
Vidmaster

Will there be food?

If any alcohol is served it might also be problamatic..

Also is there an age requirement?
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:Will there be food?

If any alcohol is served it might also be problamatic..

Also is there an age requirement?
All things that fall into the "more details in mid March" thing. I am considering providing food, and alcohol is also under consideration, but I do definitely want to avoid an age limit. Even if there is alcohol, I doubt anyone will be getting drunk; in the end, I'd rather drop the alcohol and have more people than the other way around.

Again, we'll see.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

your mom won't let you fly alone to a geek (not derogatory) party if you tell her there'll be alchohol?
Mordekai

Hmm, I wish I could come :( Is there any chance of playing maybe a few "online" games, so that other people could join, that aren't there?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

your mom won't let you fly alone to a geek (not derogatory) party if you tell her there'll be alchohol?
Clearly, you don't announce that there will be alcohol, you just provide it. If they're underage, don't give them any. We're responsible adults... well, KT probably is, anyway.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Mordekai wrote:Hmm, I wish I could come :( Is there any chance of playing maybe a few "online" games, so that other people could join, that aren't there?
See above, this is under consideration, and mostly depends on the bandwidth we have at the house. Again, much of the purpose of this is to get together in person and play a bunch of wholly lag-free games, but we might skype/iChat it up for part of the day. I'd prefer to have more people in person. Are you SURE you can't make it? Are you busy that day? Look at your calendar closer. Look at actual ticket prices to come here. Remember that we can give you a place to stay and probably food.

RyokoTK wrote:Clearly, you don't announce that there will be alcohol, you just provide it. If they're underage, don't give them any. We're responsible adults... well, KT probably is, anyway.
I like to think I am; I've been told I am, so I guess I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt.
In short, this is a gathering, not a "party". Although alcohol will be there (because it's my house; I keep alcohol in my house), it's not going to be a major part of the party. Shouldn't really be an issue.
Zott
Vidmaster

screamingfool wrote:your mom won't let you fly alone to a geek (not derogatory) party if you tell her there'll be alchohol?

I wouldn't have to fly to Oakland... [MWuh] And I could fly alone if I wanted, but probably not just for a gathering.

QUOTE(KT)at the house.[/quote]

Hmm, I thought it was going to be at a gymed/medium sized open-spaced building, unless your house is a Mansion. [MGrin]

Or perhaps I was reading into it wrong.
Last edited by Zott on Feb 24th '07, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Samus

Hmmm, intstead of just one, there could be a few going at once, at we could have a skype/ webcam running, Its easier, there could be one at KT's, One in the pacific :D and a few other places, its easier to book if its closer, its cheaper, and its faster.
Switch
Vidmaster

Kinetic Turtle wrote:Are you busy that day? Look at your calendar closer. Look at actual ticket prices to come here.
7/7/7 Is a Saterday. I'm thinking about driving for a day starting friday, flights round trip start at $281.
shongshong
Vidmaster

well.. just to be curious, where is it going to take place in oakland?
cause I live in the bay area as well
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:Hmm, I thought it was going to be at a gymed/medium sized open-spaced building, unless your house is a Mansion.
Originally it was going to be hosted at the theater where I work, but it is awkwardly located and would limit our ability to have food and drink. I do live in a pretty sizeable house with a big primary living space, and a room that I usually use as a rehearsal space, plus a large bedroom/office of my own. I do plan to borrow a couple of projectors from my work for this event.
Samus wrote:Hmmm, intstead of just one, there could be a few going at once,...
I suppose, but I'm not interested in trying to coordinate that, frankly; we have to take time differences into account, worry about making sure every single location's skype/iChat setups are working properly, blah blah blah. Besides, we could start skyping and iChatting right now, if we really wanted to do that. The whole point is to try to get as many people localized as possible.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Holy crap, a flight would be $310... I think I need to find an alternative method to get to CA.

Edit: It still seems to be the cheapest method there... hmm...
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 24th '07, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Holy crap, a flight would be $310... I think I need to find an alternative method to get to CA.

Edit: It still seems to be the cheapest method there... hmm...
Damn... $310 would break me.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Yeah, it's looking like July is a bad time for plane tickets to CA, but if you're not too far away, it should be easy. Some other things to consider:

If you're near a major airport, you may have better luck; airlines like JetBlue offer cheaper service from less airports, so try them.
If you're near other people who play A1 and want to come, make a roadtrip out of it! See the sights, go camping. C'mon people, be creative!

Try trains! From certain locations, trains are a pretty easy solution. From others, they're useless.

Just don't take a Greyhound. I did that once to make a court appearance in Washington State for a traffic violation. Shit sucks, man.
Switch
Vidmaster

If you're near other people who play A1 and want to come, make a roadtrip out of it! See the sights, go camping. C'mon people, be creative!
I was going to check this option out but Frapper Is worse everytime I try to visit, I can't even load the damn textures anymore. Anyone interested in going want to post their city. Once again, I'm really not sure I can make it, but here's my basic route ( to be modified ) If I go and I drive. Google Maps
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Come on, switch, make a detour to Minnesota and pick me up along the way. [MGrin]
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

i hope you guys will make it there, and will enjoy it. I personally will be enjoying a drink in sweden, hopefully among many other scandinavian/european 'thoners like Goran, DMA and others. :)
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Johannes Gunnar wrote:i hope you guys will make it there, and will enjoy it. I personally will be enjoying a drink in sweden, hopefully among many other scandinavian/european 'thoners like Goran, DMA and others. :)
We will drink a toast to you all, my friend! =)
Armando
Spazeroid

I would consider going, but on 7/7/07 I'm booked on Flight FINAL for the Pearly Gates with my friend Jesus and his pet Donkey Javier. Second cumming, Baby!
xyfbzi
Vidmaster

Billy was a chemist's son.
But Billy is no more.
What Billy thought was H20,
Was H2S04.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

wtf just happened to my thread?