Three level scenario contest

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
treellama
Vidmaster

Rules:three levels (four if one is a short intro level if you need one)marathon 2 or infinityembedded shapes patches are OK but don't be stupidembedded physics are OK but don't be stupidembedded Luas and MMLs are OK but don't be stupidno pluginscollaborations are allowedmultiple entries per person/team are allowed but each should be a different story / settingupload to Simplici7y between sep 24 and oct 1. That's two months to make something that would only take RyokoTK two days to do better than you! Please don't post it publicly before that week, but feel free to get help testing (and PROOFREADING PLEASE) from others in privateif you make a Pfhorums poll about this contest (starting now) you are disqualifiedThe basic idea is, I should be able to download your map file, unzip, drop it on my marathon 2 or infinity app, and play. Maybe I'll get some trustworthy volunteers (Patrick? RyokoTK? Hopper? story forum ancients?) to help decide which one is best (i.e. least terrible). No scores, no formal critique. You might get a list of what I/we liked and didn't. Who knows!

Judges can enter too they just can't win.

Checklist of stuff you should make sure doesn't suck:level designtexturingshadingpattern buffer placementammoescombatgrammar and spellingstoryPrizes: schadenfreude. I have to play through all the entries, although I do reserve the right to skip obvious jokes. Ugh, this is going to be awful. Relish it.
Last edited by treellama on Jul 22nd '12, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

You should clarify some things:
1) Are three/four levels required, or is that just the maximum
2) Is a story required
3) Why are you doing this!

Edit: If people actually submit crap to this, I will be okay with judging them (and even formally critique if that is what people want?)
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 22nd '12, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

It's a tough responsibility, but Ryoko is like the Simon Cowell of mapmaking, and every judging panel needs its Paula Abdul. So please enter: otherwise I'll have nothing new to play when I'm drunk!
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Hopper wrote:It's a tough responsibility, but Ryoko is like the Simon Cowell of mapmaking, and every judging panel needs its Paula Abdul. So please enter: otherwise I'll have nothing new to play when I'm drunk!
It's actually pretty easy to do, since half the time I just skip out or take half a year to do it anyway.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Who wants to be on my team? I'm looking for about 15-20 people.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Come to think of it, are there still even 15-20 people in the community?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I'm hoping that's the exact number of people that are still left.
interion
Cyborg

Is combat required? I keep having this dream about a free running/chase scenario where the objective is to avoid enemies and locate the exit as quickly as possible. A Marathon: Parkour if you will. Think Post Naval Trauma without the guns.
Image Image
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Tim wrote:Is combat required? I keep having this dream about a free running/chase scenario where the objective is to avoid enemies and locate the exit as quickly as possible. A Marathon: Parkour if you will. Think Post Naval Trauma without the guns.
Post Naval Trauma has the fake objective involving blowing up Juggernauts. I think you're thinking of ACME Station or I'd Rather Be a Lutefisk.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Heh, I'd be up for this if I can get a couple mapping things worked out...
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:trustworthy volunteers (Patrick? Hopper? RyokoTK?)
treellama
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:1) Are three/four levels required, or is that just the maximum
2) Is a story required
3) Why are you doing this!
1) Exactly three/four
2) No
3) We can let this happen

Tim wrote:Is combat required?
No
Last edited by treellama on Jul 23rd '12, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Funny, I actually was going to do this three-map thing all on my own this time, without waiting for a contest. Oh well. More motivation!

Also, three things:

1) I agree. TK reminds me of Simon. He made me laugh when he clearly pointed out people's flaws.

2) ...Is it just me, or did TL misspell ammoes, if it even was a word?

3) How stupid can the physics model be? I was thinking about having an enhanced pistol in one map, having enemies use flamethrowers as a weapon for another, and having ticks fire S'pht Kr bolts at the player for another.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Destiny wrote:2) ...Is it just me, or did TL misspell ammoes, if it even was a word?
potato -> potatoes
cargo -> cargoes
ammo -> ammoes

Nope, looks fine to me.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well, just to forewarn the people that will get ticked off at me for this.

I'm going to have to say that I can't contribute to this contest. Real life issues have popped up, and I just don't have the time to get his done by the deadline. I plan to release it, but it's going to be done a long. long time after the deadline.

Sorry.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

listener wrote:Well, just to forewarn the people that will get ticked off at me for this.

I'm going to have to say that I can't contribute to this contest. Real life issues have popped up, and I just don't have the time to get his done by the deadline. I plan to release it, but it's going to be done a long. long time after the deadline.

Sorry.
Someone found Redtube :(
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The submission window is now but a month away.

Post in this thread if you're working on something that you may contribute to the contest, please.

I have a sneaking suspicion we're already down to just $lave, Treellama, and myself, and that would be disheartening. Won't you people think about me for a change???
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Come one everyone! If you're not making a scenario for this contest, throw 3 of the crappiest maps together that you can and submit it. It'll make Ryoko feel a lot better.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

With such a discouraging announcement text why are you wondering that only a few people are entering the contest? You guys need a public relations agent....
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Aug 25th '12, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

I am working on something I might contribute.

Rough draft geometry and textures not final:

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

thedoctor45 wrote:With such a discouraging announcement text why are you wondering that only a few people are entering the contest? You guys need a public relations agent....
Hey don't look at me. I'm nothing but sunshine.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Asylum wrote:thunderbolt
they shine though
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Here's a sneak peek at my scenario, which is finished and ready to go.
Attachments
screen1.png
screen1.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 20171 times
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ok ok I'll try to finish that last half of the map I started for the Boomer scenario. Then i'll beg someone to make my other two maps because of lazy.